Honored Contributor

April is ESOPHAGEAL cancer awareness month

For Mistri and others like me affected by esophageal cancer:

Esophageal Cancer in U.S.

Esophageal Cancer, funding, U.S.

Esophageal Cancer and Gerd

Esophageal Cancer, deadly cancer

The states in periwinkle have volunteers to get their governor to proclaim April as Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month.

ecam map 3-17-14

Is your state represented?

Super Contributor

Re: April is ESOPHAGEAL cancer awareness month

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of it, nor the color for the ribbon. My father died of it, I have a cousin who is a survivor & my husband's reflux has caused Barrett's esophagus, which can lead to cancer if his reflux isn't controlled. Fortunately a new med & his willingness,finally, for dietary changes, has him stabilized now. Sorry to know you & Mistri have had to deal with it.
Regular Contributor

Several years ago my husband had heartburn a lot. He got to the point where he felt like he was choking on food and could not swallow. He ended up in the ER. He was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. He also got tested for cancer. He didn't have cancer but when he saw the doctor again he told him that he thought for sure that he had cancer. His doctor said that it is not good to be on the pills forever so he got off of them by making some changes to his lifestyle. He is fine now.

I've heard that if you eat an orange everyday it helps reduce your risk of getting esophageal cancer.

Honored Contributor

Much like the colon, cancer can be prevented by catching the problem early. The only reason I had my first Endoscopy was because my brother-in-law had Esophageal Cancer. I went in symptom free and my diagnosis from the Endo?

1) Hiatal Hernia

2) GERD

3) Inflamed Esophagus

4) Barrett's Esophagus which is a pre-cursor to cancer if not treated.

Need a lot of Endo's since that time to keep an eye on things, but had I waited for symptoms? I am guessing it would not have turned out well for me.

If you are "older" and haven't had an Endoscopy? Might want to consider it and I can assure you they are much less painless than getting your teeth cleaned.

A BIG thank you for posting this very important PSA.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Rant: I'm so tired of those commercials for Prilosec that has Larry the Cable Guy as their spokesman. He definitely appeals to the Git-R-Done crowd. And the other Purple Pill that got so popular we can identify it as the ""purple pill"". Heartburn was/is/never should be ""normal"" or medicated w/ an OTC daily med. No wonder this cancer has gotten ""popular"".

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Trusted Contributor

Can someone tell me what an endoscopy is like? I should probably have one but (as stupid as it sounds) i have a fear of getting it done. I've had reflux and for the past several months have felt like there's a golfball stuck in my throat -- some days the feeling is worse than others. I do worry about what it could be but not enough to get it checked -- dumb hey???
Honored Contributor

lolakimono, Thanks for the comprehensive information. I know mistriTsquirrel will appreciate it and will contribute, too. We've had so many lives affected by cancer in our family but so far this diagnosis isn't among them. This is good info and something I'll be sure to share with my friends and family.

Thanks, again.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

An endoscopy is basically painless. You are put in to 'twilight' sleep and you aren't aware at all as you are asleep. You wouldn't know what end they were looking at!

Honored Contributor

My FIL had a tumor at the base of his esophagus and had to have the last two to three inches cut off and his stomach was pulled up and attached to the shortened esophagus.

Respected Contributor

I recently lost a dear friend to esophageal cancer. She was gone less than one year after her diagnosis. I had no idea it was becoming so common. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama