Esteemed Contributor

Still dealing with my meniscus, too. UGH, when it first started the pain was up there with child birth!

Doing some reading I found one study that followed 351 patients. Of those who opted for surgery, their outcomes were no better 1 year post surgery than those who had 12 wks of physical therapy. This was for mild to moderate tears. Having a full blown meniscus still requires surgery.

I've been for 2 sessions of myofascial release with a massage therapist. My last session gave me 2 days of 100% pain relief without any nsaids so that's working for me. While working on the knee and one ankle for tendonitis, she told me to watch for hip pain. Yep, my hip was sore the next day. Trying to re-align my body. Ugh!

I'm back in the gym, working legs mostly. Trying to strengthen the muscles. UGH!

Esteemed Contributor

Snowpuppy, can you tell me more about the myofascial release massage? Can you get a prescription for it from your doctor or is it strictly an out-of-pocket expense?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if we can still post links but there is an article on myofascial release on Wiki.

I went to a massage therapist who is in the office with a local naturopath. She used essential oils and Tiger Balm on both visits. Tiger Balm's active ingredients are no different than Ben Gay, menthol and camphor so you can save yourself some $$ there.

The thought is that this type of massage loosens the muscles and promotes blood flow to the injured areas. She worked on my achilles as well as my meniscus. First visit I was sooooo tight! Second visit I could feel the difference but also felt it in my hip. I have a bad tendency to sit on one hip at my desk chair at work. 

A full hour here is $60 and I self paid. OMG, the lasting pain relief was sooo worth it without nsaids!! Dunno if your insurance will cover a visit. I have coverage for physical therapy and I'm going to try that before surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Snowpuppy. I'm running out of options so I'm going to look into this therapy. I'm not a candidate for surgery yet but I'm very frustrated having to stick with pool aerobics and strength building and not my favorite dance classes and interval aerobics. I want to get out of the water and onto dry land again.