Honored Contributor

I know this suggestion likely will not help with some of the more serious issues brought up here, but I find that if I do not consistently take my glucosamine/chondroitin capsules, my knee gets "creaky" and less strong.  I find the Cosamin brand works well.    I hope this helps anyone who starts to read this thread but has only minor "creakiness" of the knee.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

By any chance, do you take blood pressure medicine?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti  I'm not sure if you mean me or the OP, Vivian, but I don't.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the OP.  I am happy that you do not need BP meds.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I had an MRI, made an appointment with an orthopedist, and scheduled PT for the day after I consult with the orthopedist. MRI results are not in. My sports med physician said that if I have a meniscus tear caused by osteoarthritis, which is appearing increasingly likely, surgery is not indicated and can even make me worse. My family doctor concurred but added that if there are additional injuries, then surgery would likely be the answer.

I don't think I'm a candidate for knee replacement yet since that knee was xrayed last November and I was told the knee wasn't that bad...yet. I don't know if tha's still the case. Besides, I saw my husband's recovery from knee replacement and it was awful. I am in lots of pain and can't do very much, something I'm not used to. I don't know what the orthopedist will tell me but I think if it's just osteoarthritis-related I'll try the PT for a couple of months and see what happens. 

I had a meniscal tear last year. It was ok for a few months after the initial treatment, but I started having problems when I started my jogging habit. And this was after it healed. Tried PT and injections, but didn't work. In the end got chiropractic manual adjustment in Mississauga at Erin Mills Health. The sessions were painfully like any other chiro session, but my knee is much better now.

Esteemed Contributor

My family doctor called last night. The MRI shows tendinitis of one part of my knee (I can't remember the Latin name), tendonosis of another part of the knee, and osteoarthritis. There is no meniscal tear. It still hurts like mad and I'm seeing the orthopedist tomorrow. I know she'll send me for PT. I just want the pain to stop so I can return to my normal exercise routine. It's so frustrating. I'm a lifetime Weight Watcher,  6 pounds from my goal weight. Not being able to do my normal exercise will slow the weight loss process.

To answer the post about BP, I take the lowest dose of Norvasc. I think a lifetime of high impact activities and sports, plus a past that included being overweight, have all worked together to bring me to this point. 

Respected Contributor

Re: My knee is killing me

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My family doctor called last night. The MRI shows tendinitis of one part of my knee (I can't remember the Latin name), tendonosis of another part of the knee, and osteoarthritis. There is no meniscal tear. It still hurts like mad and I'm seeing the orthopedist tomorrow. I know she'll send me for PT. I just want the pain to stop so I can return to my normal exercise routine. It's so frustrating. I'm a lifetime Weight Watcher,  6 pounds from my goal weight. Not being able to do my normal exercise will slow the weight loss process.

To answer the post about BP, I take the lowest dose of Norvasc. I think a lifetime of high impact activities and sports, plus a past that included being overweight, have all worked together to bring me to this point. 

Save yourself the worry of trying to figure out how your tendons got inflamed or just plain worn out.  It happens, just like genetics play a role in our overall health.  Sometimes the simple of act of walking or what you may not think is overdoing it can cause various issues.  It is what it is.

As for reaching your goal, pat yourself on the back for a major accomplishment. 

I worked in orthopedics for 17 years and I have seen more than my fair share of people who were normal weight their entire life and knees became arthritic, hips became arthritic, spinal issues occurred. 

With tendonosis and arthritis, your orthopedist may recommend a short term course of anti inflammatory medication or Tylenol for pain control as well as some modalities in physical therapy such as ultrasound or massage therapy.

However, it takes time and everyone's healing process is different.  I saw people who underwent arthroscopies, which are considered a relatively simple procedure, that recovered within a few weeks and others that it took more than a few months.  Let pain be your guide.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had an interesting week, after posting about my rotten knee. I saw the orthopedist who, as expected, sent me to PT. She agreed with my sports med doc that it was way too early to consider knee replacement. She also gave me a cortisone shot which hasn't worked so far. Having had this shot before, in the other knee, I know it can take awhile. When the knee stops hurting, I can return to my normal workouts. Meanwhile it's pool aerobics and strength building classes with free weights.

Back to the PT subject. I met a wonderful, honest practitioner. She did several strength tests of quads, hips, etc., took a history of my physical activity including the stretches I've been doing for 35 years. She then said, "You have tendonitis, arthritis, and loss of cartilage in your knee. The purpose of PT in a case like yours is to build strength in your hips and quads. You are already very strong in those areas, and for 35 years you have been doing the stretches I'd prescribe. There's really nothing more you can do. Just keep up the good work." At first I was flattered. Then I realized I was stuck with this rotten knee.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I've had an interesting week, after posting about my rotten knee. I saw the orthopedist who, as expected, sent me to PT. She agreed with my sports med doc that it was way too early to consider knee replacement. She also gave me a cortisone shot which hasn't worked so far. Having had this shot before, in the other knee, I know it can take awhile. When the knee stops hurting, I can return to my normal workouts. Meanwhile it's pool aerobics and strength building classes with free weights.

Back to the PT subject. I met a wonderful, honest practitioner. She did several strength tests of quads, hips, etc., took a history of my physical activity including the stretches I've been doing for 35 years. She then said, "You have tendonitis, arthritis, and loss of cartilage in your knee. The purpose of PT in a case like yours is to build strength in your hips and quads. You are already very strong in those areas, and for 35 years you have been doing the stretches I'd prescribe. There's really nothing more you can do. Just keep up the good work." At first I was flattered. Then I realized I was stuck with this rotten knee.

Which is pretty much what I expected would be the case.

Last year after my arthroscopy, some people were surprised when my orthopedic surgeon showed me quads exercises for strength. I have the same issues as you. He said you can go to therapy if you really want to but, there is really not much more to benefit arthritis and tendonitis. He is a big proponent of water aerobics and biking...non impact activities.

A huge problem for me was that while dealing with the issues of my left knee, I developed right groin/ hip pain. It is bursitis for which I had a cortisone injection. I still have remnants of it.