Super Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ I totally agree on the Mrs. Dash, I use the Table Blend on many foods. However, the Amazon price for the set is outrageous.

Respected Contributor

Re: Low sodium diet

[ Edited ]

Amazon has all 15 varieties of Mrs. Dash for $73 as well.

Yes Amazon's prices are about $1.00 each more than in a store, but most stores are not going to have 12 to 15 different varieties or ship to your home for their regular price. I wouldnt call it outrageous.

Some people might want all of the varieties, it can make it easier to switching to low sodium lifestyle especially if not experienced as a cook  and  also inspiring  to use as variety can be a tool to not being bored or hesitant. 

Honored Contributor

I use a low-salt on a couple of foods - tomato slices, corn, and popcorn.

Fresh food is salt free. It's more difficult to find fresh food in the winter than the summer but I do the best I can. 

Around here, fresh food costs an arm and a leg. I have started shopping at different places, such ordering from co-ops, buying slightly damaged (to some degree), going to a farm in summers to pick my own produce from fields or buy from their little store, etc. 

I also pay attention to salt content in whatever I buy. It hasn't been difficult to find lower-salt items or to just skip high salt items altogether. 

Otherwise, I use alternate spices. We have a great spice store in town with high quality products. I've tried several blends. The prices are better than in the grocery store so I didn't mind if there were a couple I didn't like.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ I also need to reduce my salt intake and had forgotten about Mrs Dash.  I'm going to the supermrket today and will see what they have to offer. 

Good to know that Amazon has a great selection! Thanks!

Regular Contributor

My late husband had to be on a low salt diet and I've found that Penzeys has many no salt seasonings.  I especially like Justice.

After a while you will really notice how salty many foods are.  I've continued being  low sodium  because i can't handle how salty many foods are now.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Low sodium diet

[ Edited ]

thank you for all of the helpful suggestions 🥰 

one immediate action is to buy whole grain bread. I normally eat two slices of Pepperidge Farms toast every morning. After reading the label I see that I'm using up 20% of the recommended sodium daily allowance !! And that percentage is for a healthy person not one with CHF like me. Yikes.  Dietitians say look for whole grain bread with 5% or less. That will be a big change for me. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

thank you for all of the helpful suggestions 🥰 

one immediate action is to buy whole grain bread. I normally eat two slices of Pepperidge Farms toast every morning. After reading the label I see that I'm using up 20% of the recommended sodium daily allowance !! And that percentage is for a healthy person not one with CHF like me. Yikes.  Dietitians say look for whole grain bread with 5% or less. That will be a big change for me. 

Good first step.  How much less sodium?  I think mine is 100 per slice.

I went low sodium a while ago and a start is to set you daily limit, mine is 1,500.

Once you have finished label reading and rejected whole aisles of food, life is simple.  Just reach for the usual.

One good move, since salad dressing is now DIY, is to find a vinegar/oil specialty site.  They usually have tasting.  Worth the price.

Good health to you both.

Super Contributor

A squeeze of fresh lemon can often brighten/punch up the flavor of a dish.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I'm supposed to be on one. 

Any suggestions for low sodium recipes that you like, or ways that you've adapted your regular dinner menus?

Amazon, Morton salt substitute, no sodium. You get a small shaker around 7 dollars. I love salt and this satisfies me. last a long time. And my BP stays good.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't discount the fact that you can really ramp up the flavor of foods using other things besides a "no salt" spice alternative.

I have recently discovered a wonderful little shop that sells nothing but oils and vinegars. It is a tasting shop so you can taste as many different flavors as you like.Just the thought of drinking vinegars or oils was gag-worthy, but they are so delicious. I had no idea Dark Chocolate Vinegar existed, or Coconut or Lemon Lime Jalapeno. 

My favorite salad dressing is now just drizzling Apple Cider Vinegar then topping it off with Orange Olive Oil--so good! Roasted vegetables are wonderful when splashing  your favorite oils or vinegars on them, And my husband tops his ic cream with Dark Chocolate Vinegar.