Honored Contributor

Re: Kitty Pirouettes into Plants!

Yesterday I wasn't so sure about this food plan when I got the dreaded 'gas attack'.  I swear, I could have powered all the houses in the city if the grid went down, hahaha.  I felt not so great, too, like I had some kind of bug.   Looked into this and understand it's temporary.  I feel fine today, went to the gym this morning, gave myself two hours between my breakfast of oatmeal, flax seed, and berries (the berries were so good in it, so much better than the raisins I was used to eating when I had oatmeal) and some coconut milk.   I could have used another hour, but it worked out O.K.

Went to Trader Joe's and the new Whole Foods afterwards and stocked up on some more pantry items;  vinegars, beans, tahini, nutritional yeast at TJs, and then I picked up some stuff at Whole Foods, including a few Engine 2 items - marinara sauce, granola, and hummus.   Also picked up a Whole Foods made pineapple/mango salsa.

Had an appointment this afternoon so I needed to make a quick lunch - turned out to be a couple slices Ezikiel Sprouted Grain with the Engine 2 hummus and the pineapple/mango salso mixed with some black beans on the side.  Delish!

Right now I'm roasting some potato "fries" (no oil, of course) which I will have with broccoli and red bell pepper, both with Chef AJ's Yummy Sauce which I saw on a YouTube, the ingredients for which I picked up today.  I tasted it after blending it up and it really IS YUMMY SAUCE.

@sidsmom

This morning's workout consisted of:

My usual warmups, followed by a Turkish Get-up Combo with KB Swings.

Did 2 sets:

Get Up w/8kg. 5x R, 5xL, immediately followed by 30 one-arm swings w/12kg, 10R, 10L, 5R, 5L, switching hands at the top of the swing.

Then, 2 more sets, same movements, but with 10kg. bell for the Get-ups, 3R, 3L, followed imediately by 30 one handed swings, 12kg.

Yoga flow sequence 20 minutes..

I like this workout the day after I have Modern Dance class for some reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot

You are right there in that sweet spot!

You. Are. Making. This. Happen!

I've been binge watching Mic.The Vegan YouTube videos,

by your suggestion.  Good stuff.

Beans...yeah, 'Talkin' while you're walkin'..but in time it will dissipate.

I really hope your words here will influence someone to try

'Kitty Food"!  🍏🐱🍠

ETA:

For anyone reading, this is the Yummy Sauce recipe:

IMG_2335.jpg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Isn't Mic the Vegan terrific?

I watched a few Guilt Free TV with Jeff Morgan interviewing Dr. Esselstyn.  I had seen him with Dr. Greger, too.  I haven't had time to check out the others yet, but I certainly will!

I am eating dinner whilst typing and it is delish!  That crazy sauce Chef AJ came up with is really freaking delicious.

May I say that I have had zero cravings for anything so far?  

And I am loving that my dishes aren't oily or greasy.

Honored Contributor

And I can testify that the Yummy Sauce is fabu on roasted potato wedges!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Been thinking of how you're doing on your PB lifestyle.

Any updates or discoveries?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Been thinking of how you're doing on your PB lifestyle.

Any updates or discoveries? 

@sidsmom

Hey, thanks for checking in with me!

I guess it's been a little over 2 weeks since I started and not too much has happened really.  Except that I'm eating a lot of potatoes, rice, beans, oats, and corn. I also have been eating green, red and yellow veggies and fruit (like always) I have been busy so my meals have been pretty plain, plain, plain.  I happened to get on the scale last week and had lost 4 pounds, which I suspect might have been mostly water (I have had IBS since I was a little girl, and stress, which I've been under a lot of recently, brings on a flare).  Don't think the IBS flare has anything to do with the dietary change as this last flare started before I embarked on the WFPB plan.  It's actuially not AS bad as the last flare I had when I was still eating meat and olive oil (oh, and I was still putting cream in coffee, although I liked to tell myself that I didn't do any dairy = haha).  I don't like coffee as much without it, but the benefit of stopping the cream is two-fold as I don't drink as much of it!

I did have 2 'cheats' - one was only 2 days in and I ate 2 slices of pizza at a friend's house.  Then last Friday I had dinner with an old friend and we went to a Burger place and I ordered their one vegan option which was portabello mushroom, quinoa, and various veggies, made to resemble a burger.  Unfortunately, I think it had quite a lot of oil in it.  I did NOT feel good later on that evening and wasn't much better the next day.  No oil since then, and no pizza!  haha.

I have been eating some nuts and seeds and will continue with that (just a few walnuts or sunflower seeds with a meal OR, like I did yesterday, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after my workout - nothing added peanut butter and Dave's Good Seed Bread/  Also I have had a smoothie with fruit, spinach, flax and a little avocado, before my workouts.  I need the calories and the fast absorption.  And as long as my weight is stable, I'm good with that. 

I DO need to start varying my meals and learn to cook a bit (a lot!) better, but as I said, I've just been busy, and I have to rely on quick and easy until quick and easy becomes quick and easy with this new way of eating.  I have an industry exam coming up in 2 weeks (fitness training) and I am pretty stressed about it.  Afterwards(afterpassing it!) I will be 'official' and moving forward with my career plans.  So, I don't really expect the stress to go down much, but I am glad I'm going in the direction I want to go in.

A few people I've watched on youtube - Dr. Lim (a medical director with McDougall) - he is very impressive, Jill McKeever, a WFPB devotee of McDougall - she's a hoot, and has some good cooking videos  and thoughts about WFPB, and a blog from "Clean Food, Dirty Girl' - she's very funny and also has lots of menu suggestions.  And, oh yes, Rich Ross, I watched him too, he's very cool and his grocery shopping videos were

Anyhoo, I feel like a work in progress, in transition, and am taking everything one day at a time.  I plan to keep on with this eating plan, and making any necessary adjustments along the way, keeping fast to the NO MEAT, NO DAIRY, NO ADDED OIL rules.  Only a little over 2 weeks in (and 2 cheats!) isn't enough time for a true evaluation (I don't think).  

OH, WAIT, there is one thing I have noticed.  A big reduction in acid reflux, which I have been dealing with.  I am VERY happy about that.  A doctor wanted me on those horrible drugs they give out (lots of bad news about those) and just getting rid of the saturated fat and oil I believe was the best thing I could do for that!

I am thinking I want to get an Instant Pot - lots of WFPB people seem to love that cooker.  Do you have one?

Okay, I've got to get going, but wanted to post yesterday's gym work * I have been goind light on shoulder work as my right rotator cuff has been acting up some - I periodically have to back off on shoulder work, particularly OH pressing because of it.  Feels better than it did 2 weeks ago, but I'm still babying it.

5/4 (5 exercises done one after another, no rest between - done 4 times - 2 min. rest between sets)

Step ups on 18" block - 12R, 12L

followed by

One arm kb row, martial art stance - 10kg. - 12R, 12L, 2 sec. hold at top - slow

followed by

KB goblet squat (ATG) with 10kg bell - 12 reps

followed by

Standing cable lat straight arm pushdown - 10 reps

followed by

Stir the pot, plank position upper body on stability ball - 10 to the right, 10 to the left

Then, 30 miinute yoga, inspired by Keith Mitchell, ex NFL linebacker, who was injured back in the early 2000's, now a yoga instructor extraordinarie!  I incorporate several of his low-back and stability poses (among others from elsewhere!)

Hope I didn't ramble today - I may think of more stuff I should have brought up when I'm out and about!

Later!  xoxo

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Wow...you're kicking this!

Yeah, eating out can be a little bit of a bugger. It's never as good as I remembered it to be!  

So happy about your reduction of acid reflux & IBS symptoms. With your active & dancing lifestyle, that will reward you 10-fold now & in the future.

Varying meals. Since you're so busy, the freezer, pantry & weekend prep are your friends. Instant Pot..yep, I have the 6qt. It's nice I can go do something in the other room & in 30 min, have a hot meal waiting for me, without worrying the pot will boil over or go dry.

A common theme for prep/cooking is...always have a pot of cooked brown rice & a bin of baked potatoes in your frig. That's the foundation of all your calories. Add canned beans, diced tomatoes. Add a bag of frozen veggies. Then decide on your cuisine spice...Italian, Mexican, etc. If you're needing more calories, pasta might be a go-to since it's more calorie dense....again, something which could be prepped ahead of time. Basically it's a Starch-Legume-Vegetable-Spice foundation...you could even organize your refrigerator that way...one shelf for starch, another for beans/vegetables, and the door for all your spices/condiments. So many ideas. Nice thing about plant-based eating...everything can stay fresh in the frig for a good week/half without going bad.

What I love about this WOE, even if everyone has different goals, the actual food & high volume (YES!) can be the same for everyone....just different ratios/different goals depending on the calorie density.

Workouts...nice! Impressed w/ the stability ball/instability work. I love the feel of weight in my hand, but sometimes bodyweight can be the most difficult! With your new fitness career, wouldn't it be cool if your PB ideas were adopted by your influence? I feel a nutritional shift coming w/ your staff!

Have to check out Keith Mitchell. Always looking to learn new things.
As of late, I've been researching mace & club work...and happened upon the coolest YouTubers....ZenKahuna & BuffaloThief.  The guy is amazing, butnthe gal is amazingly strong & agile. 

If you type "buffalothief nutrition on the go", there will be 3 videos where she shows how she prepares her food for the day. Like the idea of blending greens w/ a coffee substitute....and cooking with carrot juice. Maybe that will help you.

Thank you so much w/ your extended response. Rambling?  Girl...I could talk about this stuff all day.  Just love seeing someone see the benefits from this lifestyle...even though one is already fit/healthy, it's amazing how switching out the food component just turns on a light inside of you.  Everyone just...feels better..and in turn, performs better. 🌼

But the one, biggest/important question I have,

aren't you saving a ton of $$ eating this way?  👍

Again, thanks so much for being a wonderful ambassador

to the plant-based lifestyle!  You show'em how it's done!!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Ha, yes, I leave the grocery with more food AND more money.  A definite plus!

I found Zenkahuna with Coach Tara (she's amazing and fabulous, with basically perfect body mechanics! - their 15 minute kettlebell flow routine is KILLER!). 

BUT I only see the Buffalo Thief in the kb/hip mobility drill video with Coach Tara (introduced by Zenkahuna).  I can't find her on any other videos!  I typed in Buffalo Thief Nutrition on the Go and came up with nothing.  I typed in Buffalo Thief in google and on youtube and also nothing.  What did I do wrong?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Accck....I typed it incorrectly!

Use this instead:  buffalo thief nutritarian on the go

(since we can't post links)

They followed Furhman's G-BOMB protocol in the past,

but I see many of those old videos have been removed.

But those 3 remaining might help you.

I don't know anything about this couple & how Coach Tara fits in,

but manohman, 'Buffalo Thief' is my new Girl Crush.  Ha. 

Did you see their (welp) sweet, sweet set up of all their

maces, clubs, kettlebells, sandbags, swing balls, battle ropes?

Epidomizes a true Mountain Woman. 💪🏼🏔👱🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Hey, thanks!  I really liked the food for the day video.  Very colorful and full of great nutrition.  Definitely takeaways from it for me.  The carrot juice cooking base is interesting, too.  Is "Nutritarian" a Furhman thing?  I've seen him interviewed and thought he made a lot of sense.  Just lots of good nutritioiln.  Seems very WFPB in his philosophy.

Love the set up Buffalo Thief (great name, btw) and Zenkahuna (another great name) have.  Their training is all about movement, which I really like, and which I do a lot of.  Unfortunately, I don't have room at my house for a set up like that and just have my kettlebells and a couple hoops.  And the gym I belong to doesn't have any ropes or clubs or bags.  But they do have a decent kb selection and a nice open area to work in where I can do work on the stability ball and other bodyweight stuff.  

When I went to my kettlebell cert weekend back in 2008, the most important concept I came away with was Anthony Diluglio's statement that "we train movement, not muscle".  It has served me well, and I try to pass that concept along to others.  It's difficult for some to understand at first, to learn to use things like kettlebells in the manner they are meant to be used, and not just as a substitute for dumbbells.  But that's an entirely new subject!  Talk about things I could go on and on about.  haha