Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

My Mom suffered from migraines. As a child I hated it when she would put her finger over her eye 'cuz I knew a headache was coming on. For a few time she saw a chiropractor(AUTO ACCIDENT) and she said that was the only time her headaches were less severe.

That was when our doctor charged $5.00 for a house call.

For you, the poster, it sounds like there is no relief for you. Have you seen a neurologist?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

@Group 5 minus 1 I have seen two and been on a laundry list of medications in the almost 4 years I have been suffereing. 

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

My Mom suffered from migraines. As a child I hated it when she would put her finger over her eye 'cuz I knew a headache was coming on. For a few time she saw a chiropractor(AUTO ACCIDENT) and she said that was the only time her headaches were less severe.

That was when our doctor charged $5.00 for a house call.

For you, the poster, it sounds like there is no relief for you. Have you seen a neurologist?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom 

Wondering if you have tried Imitrex?

Many years back, I participated in the clinical trials for the Imitrex injections after trying numerous other drugs.  You would take the shot at the onset.

Thankfully, I got some relief, but I still suffered with the headaches for nearly 15 years.  

There are so many medications now, but back then, the doctor looked at you like you had two heads when bringing up a migraine.

After menopause, they went away (thankfully!).

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much, @Witchy Woman .  I am going to jot that down to mention to my doc when the EOs stop working.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Boehm Collector ---I go to one that works with the physicians--he needs a referral from the dr but he can prescribe meds too. It's not a typical drugstore pharmacist and yes,  he understands all that stuff. And I trust him completely!! He is a PharmD which means he deals with the management of drug therapies. 

@wagirl ..... I just re-read your post.   Your pharmacist needs a referral from a physician. That reinforces my position that a pharmacist does not understand medical problems.   Perhaps he can prescribe medication based on what a physician tells him??   But that wouldn't be enough for me to trust a pharmacist over my physicians.   Again, I respect your opinion ... I just don't agree.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boehm Collector @wagirl 

In Washington state a PharmD can do the following:

Initiate, modify or continue drug therapy under agreement with authorized prescriber. Agreement must be on file with the Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission.  

PharmDs have a doctorate in Pharmacy, so it makes sense that they have an excellent background in drug therapies for various conditions.  

But ... the physician identifies the  original condition as far as I can tell.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the paperwork that usually comes with the meds, these side affects  may occur.  Did you get to read that?  Maybe on line, you can see other side affects.

Honored Contributor

@juanitalinda --yes--thank you!!

And they deal with many, many conditions in accordance with the patients dr and the patient. He is not a physician, he works with the drs . But he has to know about the many conditions  that require drugs--as in my case--that the drs have no time to investigate.  For me--I have family high cholesterol--and cannot take any statins due to the horrible side effects I get from all of them. He has given me a plan on how to go about controlling that issue and we fine tune it after a few months if neccessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@juanitalinda wrote:

@Boehm Collector @wagirl 

In Washington state a PharmD can do the following:

Initiate, modify or continue drug therapy under agreement with authorized prescriber. Agreement must be on file with the Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission.  

PharmDs have a doctorate in Pharmacy, so it makes sense that they have an excellent background in drug therapies for various conditions.  

But ... the physician identifies the  original condition as far as I can tell.  

Here in Oregon you can referred to a dedicated pharmacy clinic, which is in a MOB and has a waiting room etc.  It is only for more complex drugs and patients, but is not same as ambulatory infusion, which is elsewhere.  Staffed by pharmacists only.  Not generally known to most routine patients.  A MD does the referral.

Hope no one else ever has occasion to learn this 🥲

Super Contributor

@wagirl 

I am in the same boat as you with the familial high chlorestrol and reaction to statins.   

I understand the high chlorestrol is a big health issue ... but the side effects of every drug she has suggested are so bad that they are literally incapacitating. 

I would be interested in whatever you can share about the plan you and your pharmacist have come up with .... maybe my doctor can work off it.  (At any rate, even if I suggest something she might be happy that I am not ignoring the issue.)