Honored Contributor

The concept of eliminating sugar and flour seems almost alien to me because they are in so many things at the grocery store.  I'm going to look at some websites mentioned.  I'm trying to envision meatless meals for me but that can have meat in them for my husband.  So far all I've come up with is spaghetti and meatballs & beef vegetable soup.  I could easily eliminate the meat from my portions of those.

Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Plan

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

The concept of eliminating sugar and flour seems almost alien to me because they are in so many things at the grocery store.  I'm going to look at some websites mentioned.  I'm trying to envision meatless meals for me but that can have meat in them for my husband.  So far all I've come up with is spaghetti and meatballs & beef vegetable soup.  I could easily eliminate the meat from my portions of thos.  

Auntg...

There is no dispute about flour/sugar being detrimental to your health (There are derivatives of sugar.that are LESS harmful_)  It sounds as if you are willing to trying a new way of eating....congratulations!  I have an idea for you because I cook meals for others depending on where they are on this path towards health (I will not include meat/dairy for ethical/health reasons)...but there are lots of transitional options.  Gardein makes frozen faux meat products and they have a tasty meatball that you could make for your husband's spaghetti.  There is also  a chicken tender that comes with barbecue sauce and could be served with rice.  The fish tenders can be made into a fish taco with organic corn tortillas...I would not consider these health foods, but it is a transition out of meat and might satisfy your husband.  I would keep uping the amount of veggies/fruit.  You could start incorporating more rice/potato/bean based dishes as these can be quit hearty and healthy that both of you would enjoy.  (There are lots of recipes....just google vegan recipes for rice/potato/bean meals.  Split pea, black bean, lentil, minestrone soups are yummy and I'll bet your husband would enjoy these on a cold day or stuff a baked potato with mushrooms and broccoli -you can saute the mushrooms and broccoli in veggie broth to avoid dairy and it is just as tasty.  Experiment...there are lots of options.  Be creative and have fun with it...wishing you lots of health in the New Year.

Trusted Contributor

Here's what works for me:

Breakfast

1 egg and two egg whites scrambled in 1 tsp. butter (yes, butter, you have to have fat) on 1 slice toasted Ezeikiel bread.

AM Snack

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

Lunch

4 oz. chicken breast with 1/2 c. brown rice (I use some chicken stock to keep it moist)

1/3 cup fresh tomatoes, diced

Steamed veggies

Plain full fat yogurt with a small amount of fresh fruit (about 1/3 cup fruit)

PM Snack

1 oz. almonds

Dinner

Protein shake consisting of 3 cups raw spinich, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil, 1/2 frozen banana or frozen strawberries, 1 cup almond milk

1 cup bone broth

--------------------------------------

The shake and broth keep me full.  I eat light at night because I have IBS.  I can't eat huge meals or else I wake up nauseated.  It took me an entire year to figure out how to eat, what to eat and when.  I can eat nuts, but I can't eat them before bed or around dinner.  I can eat veggies, but I have to watch the content.  If they are pureed like the spinich is at dinner, I'm completely fine. 

I keep my carbs around 15-20 grams each meal so it doesn't spike my blood sugar.  No, I don't have diabetes, but it's just good practice not to have blood sugar levels high. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

The concept of eliminating sugar and flour seems almost alien to me because they are in so many things at the grocery store.  I'm going to look at some websites mentioned.  I'm trying to envision meatless meals for me but that can have meat in them for my husband.  So far all I've come up with is spaghetti and meatballs & beef vegetable soup.  I could easily eliminate the meat from my portions of those.

On Dr. Mark Hyman's site (and in his bookds) there are lots of meatless recipes as he believes firmly in a mostly plant-based diet.  If you eat meat it should be in small amounts, not the main part of the meal  AND it should be antibiotic and hormone free, organically raised.  This is not only ethical but is much healthier.  If your husband wants meat (and I have a few men in my life who are not interested in being non-meat eaters) you can leave out the meat in Dr. Hyman's recipes for you and still have very nutritious food for both of you.

Dr. Hyman calls himself a Pegan, which is a hybrid of Paleo and Vegan.  I think it's a great way to eat..

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Because anything in a box, jar or package has sugar and/or flour in it (as well as other ingredients that are not good for you), when you do a plan like Whole30, Primal Blueprint or any other Paleo plan, you pretty much have to do all of your own cooking for all meals and snacks if you want to be 80% compliant.

I love to cook, so its not a problem.  I make a lot of food ahead of time and my Foodsaver is my best friend.

I love how I feel, so I am closer to 98% compliant all the time (except when I travel for work).  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN