Super Contributor

Re: Do you know your Blood Type

[ Edited ]

0 negative since giving birth to my daughter December 1969.  They had to give me Rhogam after she was born. Also 0 negative is a universal blood type.

Honored Contributor

I don't and it's not like the medical profession would believe you anyway without checking first before a surgery or procedure that may require a tranfusion.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Known since I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

I have O- negative blood. I also had the RhoGAM shots each time I was pregnant.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I know too, RH O- negative.  Had two boys with O negative blood (Dad has A positive).  No shots or anything else required, successful births.... Woman Happy.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I'm A+, found that out during bloodwork 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I did not find out I am O positive until a few months ago when I was going through some hospital paperwork from my hip replacement. Due to my immune issues I can not donate blood. 

@I am still oxox 

I've always wondered what mine is.  Even though I've had surgeries, it never came up.

I've asked my primary a couple times, but she said there was no "reason" to order the test, and it was a little pricey.

I AM going to find out, but I'm not clear why I can't just ask and have it done.   I will also check with the lab I routinely go to for blood work.  I am sure someone, somewhere has this on a report.  

Regular Contributor

Yes... I found out my blood type when I was in high school in chemistry class. It was confirmed many years later when I had my boys. 💙

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

We did find that out in 10th grade science class.  Don't know if t's reliable or not.  I'd check with my doctor now.

It turned out that my high school science class result was correct. Never knew until I went to the red cross a couple of years ago.

I'm AB- so I donate plasma every month since my blood probably isn't very helpful.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course I know my bloodtype. It's part of being an educated consumer of one's own health care. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to advocating for yourself and your loved one's

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown