Honored Contributor

Any one dealing with lower back and hip pain?

I have had lower back pain all my life. Before corrective orthopedic  operations in 1966, I walked on my tip toes and couldn't put my heel on the floor. Had very sway back, scoliosis and spondylosis . Was premature baby in 1954. Currently 69

It doesn't take much to hurt my back and recent problem happened when taking clothes out of dryer two months ago. Very painful and uncomfortable.

Monday, new orthopedic Doctor had xrays done and told : degeneration of inter vertebral disc. Told due to my current condition and medical history: Not candidate for surgery or physical therapy. Currently on pain medication and don't like it. Monday afternoon have a CT Scan scheduled and really dreading this and not sure about everything. Assuming that I will be wearing hospital gown. Praying that I  will not have to swallow any contrast dye or other liquids. Currently dealing with nausea. Diagnosed in November with ulcerative colitis and other problems. 

I depend on my health care team but just wondering how any one else deals with this health issue. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any one dealing with lower back and hip pain?

Good luck I know first hand how paingul disc and back pain can be. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  I've been dealing with lower back pain since I was about 12.  I have spondylolisthesis among other conditions.  I've been on pain medication for about 35 years; I'm 75.  I also wear a TENS unit.  Both help some.  I've also had 17 surgeries, but NO back surgery.  I feel your pain.  I'm so sorry.  💖💖💖

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox : I totally understand and will be praying for you.🤗❤🙏

@I am still oxox wrote:

Good luck I know first hand how paingul disc and back pain can be. 

Honored Contributor

@spent2much : Oh my goodness. You have been dealing with so much.I have an old TENs unit ( need to look for it) from the 1990's and wondering if the technology has changed?

I will be praying for you.🤗❤🙏🙏

@spent2much wrote:

@SouthernBee  I've been dealing with lower back pain since I was about 12.  I have spondylolisthesis among other conditions.  I've been on pain medication for about 35 years; I'm 75.  I also wear a TENS unit.  Both help some.  I've also had 17 surgeries, but NO back surgery.  I feel your pain.  I'm so sorry.  💖💖💖

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  Re a TENS unit... gosh, I think I've been wearing once for as long as I've been on pain meds - maybe longer.  I've had several.  I don't think the technology has changed, but it does help me - quite a bit.  I buy rechargeable batteries (9V) for it.  I'd be in SO much more pain without it.  Did it help you at all?  💖

Honored Contributor

@spent2much : I can't remember much about the Tens unit but used it after physical therapy. I will look for mine tomorrow. I looked at them on Amazon and the price is reasonable. The unit is more compact.

@spent2much wrote:

@SouthernBee  Re a TENS unit... gosh, I think I've been wearing once for as long as I've been on pain meds - maybe longer.  I've had several.  I don't think the technology has changed, but it does help me - quite a bit.  I buy rechargeable batteries (9V) for it.  I'd be in SO much more pain without it.  Did it help you at all?  💖

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  You just jogged my memory.  Do you know my first TENS cost $600?!  We had good insurance years ago, so our insurance paid 80%.  We were only stuck with $120 and we barely had enough, but we purchased it.  One of the best investments.  As you've seen on Amazon, now you can buy one for $30 to $40!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@spent2much : Yes, very expensive. Can't remember  the amount of copay. 

@spent2much wrote:

@SouthernBee  You just jogged my memory.  Do you know my first TENS cost $600?!  We had good insurance years ago, so our insurance paid 80%.  We were only stuck with $120 and we barely had enough, but we purchased it.  One of the best investments.  As you've seen on Amazon, now you can buy one for $30 to $40!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee I don't know why you dread getting a CT? CT scans aren't loud (like the MRI is) and don't take that long either.   You do go in a tunnel, but the actual scan isn't painful.  I recently had CT's and MRi's of my spine and I didn't have to wear a hospital gown.  I was able to wear my normal clothes (didn't wear a bra with any metal as I wore an Ahh bra and you remove your jewelry).  You don't normally drink any contrast for a CT of your spine so I don't think that should be an issue.  They would have told you if you're getting a CT with contrast so you should know about that in your order.  I am going through treatment for lower spine and cervical spine issues, including degeneration and nerve compression.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.