Respected Contributor

Going to Europe for 18 days in May. ( Fly into Amsterdam and then trains to other places). So much advice leans towards bringing only a carry-on.  I cannot imagine packing for that length of time with a carry-on. Has anyone had problems with checking luggage?  I would like to bring a 25 inch to check and then a small 21 inch carry-on. We are "on our own" with the itinerary of a travel agent and our time is very mapped out.  

Respected Contributor

Re: carry on or check bags??

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Going to Europe for 18 days in May. ( Fly into Amsterdam and then trains to other places). So much advice leans towards bringing only a carry-on.  I cannot imagine packing for that length of time with a carry-on. Has anyone had problems with checking luggage?  I would like to bring a 25 inch to check and then a small 21 inch carry-on. We are "on our own" with the itinerary of a travel agent and our time is very mapped out.  

Boy, that's a lot of luggage for 18 days. If you must, I'd say check the 25 inch bag but skip the 21 inch carry on. Just slip a change of clothes into a large purse or tote that you carry on. If it were me, I'd take just the 21 inch carry on. It can be done, really. And you'll be delighted to not have to keep track of all of it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend went to Italy on a Rick Steve's tour. He highly recommends traveling light. And she did and it worked out well.

You can go to his website and look at his Travel Tips, if you want ideas.

Respected Contributor

I did a similar trip years ago with a rolling 21inch duffle. You probably do not want to be hauling a 25 inch suitcase around train stations in Europe. 

I would suggest you pack very light, pick a base color..I use black for pants and then mix and match. You can buy underwear that is quick dry for overnight washing. My travel tops and slacks always dry overnight. 

The less you bring,mtge happier you will be. 

Honored Contributor

It's not just the flight though.  If you are moving to different locations over the course of the 18 days, you need to consider dragging all that stuff around with you.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Please be aware that you will be pulling and pushing that luggage on trains and through the streets of Europe.  You might even have to drag your luggage up flights of stairs by yourself.  You are a target for pickpockets and thieves if you are too occupied with heavy luggage.  Some streets are cobblestone and not smooth.  Even roll along luggage can be a burden in some areas.  It is difficult to keep upright while rolling along.

There are no handicapped ramps or elevators in most places.  

When I go, I pack a few black/navy bottoms and take darker tops so the dirt does not show.  I wash my micro fabric panties out in the sink.  They dry overnight.  You should be able to pack everything you need in a carry-on.  

Esteemed Contributor

Your carry-on has to either fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.  If you're not taking a tour, then you have to shlep two roller bags across the continent of Europe on and off trains.  It is always better to pack light.  You can still check one bag.  You're allowed one carry-on (a purse counts but noone says anything if you have a purse and a carry-on) and one checked bag.

Pack your incedentals, a couple pairs of undies, a extra pair of knit black pants and a top (in case luggage gets lost or misdirected) in your carry-on, preferably a backpack or one with a shoulder strap.

@bargainsgirl

Contributor

I don't travel light.  Mainly, it's because I need a nice outfit to go to the opera or dine at a nice restaurant.  And I don't like washing underwear in hotel sinks.  Having said that, I can make do with one checked bag and one back pack for two weeks.  If you need to carry stuff up and down stairs, you'll only need to have your hands on one item.  Also, instead of a suitcase, I recommend a rolling duffel bag.  They are narrower than traditional suitcases but fit just as much (use packing cubes).  They are so much easier to manuever in train stations.  My sweet spot as far as rolling duffels goes is 25 inches.    

Honored Contributor

Check out the Samantha Brown TS on HSN today. Carry on plus satchel plus two packing cubes. She is giving packing tips in the presentations too. The satchel goes over the carryon handle. I wish I could have bought this set for a recent weekend trip, she says this will not scratch. My brand new hardside bag is already scratched.

Just keep your clothes in one color scheme-one pair of pants that you fly in, one extra and a few tops that coordinate. Just one comfortable pair of shoes.

If necessary you can always buy something there

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned to pack very light when travelling by train when I was 21 and went by Eurorail throughout Europe.  That trip I had a large hard sided case with strap on wheels (1965).  As someone mentioned there are cobblestone streets and just slinging a large bag up into a train is h**l.  Again, after many years and much travel DH and I repeated our"sin" of the very large suitcase in Europe (we started the trip with back to back cruise).  Here I was at 63 (and knew better!!) dragging large wheeled bag through "tube" of London.  In some areas of that underground there are no escalators when you are going from line to line.  Thanks to lovely British gents who unfailingly offered to (more than once) carry my bag up flights of ten stairs (!!!!).  It was a nightmare at the time, although DH and I laugh about it now!