Esteemed Contributor

Re: carry on or check bags??

I wish I could pack light.  I read, I watch, I follow, I check all resources and yet I cannot seem to get it right with downsizing my stash.  I am always afraid I will be without something.  

Going on Cruise... Hawaii.  Got to fly from East coast and got to last a week on the cruise with stops to most of the islands.  Just hubby and me.  No need formal so I don't need my wheeled garment bag, my usual lifesaver.. but what to pack in WHAT.  

And I do have all the luggage a gal couild ever want... backpacks, wheeled underseat carryons. All kinds of Lug and Vera Bradley.  I could open up a store. 

Respected Contributor

F13251 Lug.....I recently picked up this bag....it is so cute but it's large!  Anyone else have it and is this something that can be carried on airplane?  I am thinking it might be too big and should send it back for that reason...24" by 17" by 7.5" 

https://www.qvc.com/Lug-Quilted-Travel-Tote---Aerial-2.product.F13251.html?upsh=1&sc=F13251-CSWB

I am glad I read thur this topic as I had no idea what it is like going thur Europe...you ladies really know your stuff!  But I can't see my husband agreeing to 2 pairs of underwear and washing them in sink LOL! His hanes wouldn't be dry over night (I don't think they would).  

Oh boy there is so much to consider before embarking on a trip like this....Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

F13251 Lug.....I recently picked up this bag....it is so cute but it's large!  Anyone else have it and is this something that can be carried on airplane?  I am thinking it might be too big and should send it back for that reason...24" by 17" by 7.5" 

https://www.qvc.com/Lug-Quilted-Travel-Tote---Aerial-2.product.F13251.html?upsh=1&sc=F13251-CSWB

I am glad I read thur this topic as I had no idea what it is like going thur Europe...you ladies really know your stuff!  But I can't see my husband agreeing to 2 pairs of underwear and washing them in sink LOL! His hanes wouldn't be dry over night (I don't think they would).  

Oh boy there is so much to consider before embarking on a trip like this....Woman LOL

It's too big. Way too big. The allowable dimensions for most airlines are 22"x14"x9". It also can't exceed 45 linear inches in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels. It's not going in the cabin. Please don't buy luggage because it's "cute". Luggage is to protect and transport your belongings, not make a fashion statement. Buy it because it's good quality and will stand up to being used and treated roughly. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Always check bags.  Just not worth the hassle for me to deal with juggling carry-on luggage.  

Both domestic US travel and European trips ... never an issue with checked bags.

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

It's too big. Way too big. The allowable dimensions for most airlines are 22"x14"x9". It also can't exceed 45 linear inches in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels. It's not going in the cabin. Please don't buy luggage because it's "cute". Luggage is to protect and transport your belongings, not make a fashion statement. Buy it because it's good quality and will stand up to being used and treated roughly. 

That is so true!  Something like this couldn't be checked...it's a over night bag for a car trip situation only.  I see that now....mistake!!  Thank you

Honored Contributor

18 days and ONLY a carry-on?

there is no way i could EVER do that......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

honeybuns, I would think a 21 inch carry on and a 25 inch check in bag may be a little much for your trip.  It really depends on how much you are actually in charge of getting the bags from one point to another on your trip.  Two years ago  we took a 15 day European trip and it was amazing.  The first 10 days were with Tauck Tours and everything was handled for you from start to finish, however we extended our trip to Paris and were on our own and that's where having too much luggage can be a problem.  

We are leaving next week for Paris for a quick trip of 5 days and likely using a carry on as it's just so much easier and it's also amazing what you can pack in packing cubes.  Hope you have a great trip.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I managed fine in a recent trip to Italy with a 25" checked bag and a vera bradley tote as a carry on.  My luggage has been lost more times than I care to remember.  In 2017 I had to make do in France with just the extras in my carryon tote for 10 days out of our 14 day vacation.  I bought a package of inexpensive underwear  and a couple of tops, but that was it.  That trip taught me that you really don't need as much as you think you do.  That 25 Inch checke bag should be plenty for you with a carry on tote.  

Packing cubes really are a wonder.  You can roll clothes and get so much more space out of your luggage.  Pare down your skin care and makeup to the minimum.  Shoes are a killer weight wise - only bring one other pair than the ones you are wearing (ok, maybe two).

I found a blog called "The Vivienne Files' that outlined a packing scheme based on a "4 by 4" system.  That is 16 mix and match pieces that you can make any number of outfits with.  Check out the blog, but essentially here's the scheme:

Start with two basic neutral colors (black and beige or navy and white, for instance).  I used black and olive green.

First group of 4 - two tops and two bottoms in one of your neutral colors.

Second group of 4 - two tops and two bottoms in the second neutral color.

Third group of 4 - four tops that coordinate with both of the above mentioned neutrals (you could add a couple of cartigans here if you think the weather might warrant).

Fourth group of 4 - Anything that you think you might need to 'fill in' the gaps.  Could be a dress, a dressier pair of pants, a heavier (or lighter) jacket, a jacket in an accent color.  Again, needs to coordinate with both neutrals in group one and group two.  Socks, underwear, scarves don't have a limit because they are so small and can be shoved anywhere, however, more than one or two scarves is overkill.

I know it sounds a bit scientific, because, geepers, it's just packing for heavens sake, but it kept me sane on the trip because I like to have choices.  Packing too much was always because I wanted choices.  When every top goes with every pair of pants, you choose what combo fits your mood that day.  I also made sure that at least a few of the tops were easily washed and dried overnight.  The weather was a lot warmer in Italy in October than I (and all the silly weather apps) thought it would be, so I ended up washing a couple of my short sleeve lighter weight tops.  

I can heartily recommend that 4 by 4 packing system, it took the stress out of packing for me.  Also, leave room in your luggage for stuff to bring home.  A 25" with the above scheme should give you some wiggle room for that cashmere/silk scarf that calls your name at the street market.

Respected Contributor

Could not travel with just  a 21" rollaboard for two plus weeks in Europe. Even w the underseat travel back that fits over the handles.

Respected Contributor

We always used to check 2 pieces of luggage plus 1 carry on bag (electronics,make up, medicine,etc). I always pack more than I need just in case and also I like to have choices.

Now they charge $60 a piece even though I am their club member. So we are going to check 1 bag and bring 2 carry ons. We are going for 2 weeks , so I have to make a do....