Honored Contributor

"THE HUCKSTERS" CLARK GABLE DEBORAH KERR FRIDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

It's a Sydney Greenstreet marathon all day Friday till prime time!  Please see schedule below, with the inimitable Greenstreet in many of his best-loved favorites.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=PST&sdate=2019-12-27

Two of his slightly lesser-known films are on my list:

huck1.jpg

2:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Hucksters"  Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Ava Gardner, Sydney Greenstreet, Keenan Wynn

Advertizing man Clark Gable has returned from war to re-conquer Madison Avenue, with the help of patrician, down-on-her-luck English widow Deborah Kerr.  He draws her into a campaign, and slowly into his personal life, while coping with a particularly difficult, intimidating ad client in the form of Sydney Greenstreet.  Sudsy but involving.  Clark is at his mature masculine best, and Deborah Kerr in one of her earliest American films, brings her trademarked ravishing refinement.

4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Conflict". Humphrey Bogart, Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet, Rose Hobart, Charles Drake

Bogey is a well-to-do architect who has everything it seems, except the woman he really wants--  his wife's younger sister (Alexis Smith).  Sydney Greenstreet is the psychiatrist family friend who uses his intimate knowledge of the couple to solve the ensuing disappearance and mystery that form the arc of the riveting story... 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE HUCKSTERS" CLARK GABLE DEBORAH KERR FRIDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Sidney Greenstreet appeared in some great movies and  always put forth his best, excellent actor!  I enjoyed his roles in Casablanca, Christmas in Connecticut, the Maltese Falcon.  I think it an honor TCM is giving us a day of his films, much deserved.  

Greenstreet wasn't the "pretty boy" actor or one who was known as many of the leading men were but his acting  was certainly on par with leading men.

Esteemed Contributor

Love it! Great viewing here. Classic. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @spiderw, and even when he isn't necessarily the "main focus" of the films, like in these two here, his persona is such that he is as memorable as the lead actors, sometimes more so.  Certain so-called 'character' players always grab me that way,  the great Beulah Bondi, Victor Moore, Dan Duryea, Thomas Mitchell-- great talents in their own right...

@godi, precisely-- "great viewing"!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great films for a holiday friday afternoon. I'll be watching.