Trusted Contributor

All NEW Call The Midwife Christmas Night

[ Edited ]

There's a never-been-shown-before  90 minute Christmas episode of Call The Midwife on PBS on Wednesday night, 12/25. Here in the NY area it's on at 9pm. Those who enjoy this series should check their local listings. 

Intro to this episode says:  "Mother Mildred and the Nonnatus House team go to the Outer Hebrides in response to a nursing shortage. Navigating the terrain, they strive to keep up with the needs of the locals."

More info here

I'm a big fan, so this will be a Christmas treat for me. 

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday. 

Respected Contributor

Re: All NEW Call The Midwife Christmas Night

That will be a good show to watch Christmas night.  Thanks for reminding us.

Honored Contributor

I have this set to tape on my DVR and look forward to watching it, such an excellent series and the holiday episodes wonderful!  

For all who love Call the Midwife, enjoy a relaxing peaceful time watching !

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal  Thanks for the information. I’ll be watching!

Respected Contributor

Im looking forward to this. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

I love this series on PBS.    They have a new Christmas special every year, and they're wonderful.   

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

If you missed last night, at least on my PBS Channel it repeats this afternoon at 3:30pm.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a question about this episode:  the white stag that the ditzy older hun saw, what do you think it represents?  I will wait for your thoughts but I think I know...

Honored Contributor

@patbz, The Ditsy Nun???   It was God sending her a sign, but I am not sure what it meant, but she seemed pleased!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

I have a question about this episode:  the white stag that the ditzy older hun saw, what do you think it represents?  I will wait for your thoughts but I think I know...

@patbz,  After watching this wonderful episode I was particularly moved by, and left wondering about, the mystical encounter with the white stag, too.   I found a nice recap which includes an explanation of this meeting.    I'll post it in a spoiler for those who don't want to see it immediately.

Click/tap on "Spoiler" below for details:

Spoiler
 Early in the episode, I believe Sister Monica Joan thinks of the Outer Hebrides as associated with the St Eustace White Stag, a symbol of Christ.

"...and Sister Monica Joan who is considered too frail for the journey.  As the taxis carrying the Poplar contingent pull away from Nonnatus House, the elderly nun pouts, upset that her chance to encounter a Christ-like white stag has passed her by...

...Despite all the lifesaving work of Poplar’s finest, Mother Mildred has received disappointing news concerning her plan to establish a Nonnatun presence on the island. The local council has declined to lease the church/hostel to the order citing the denominational divide between the Anglican nuns and the Presbyterians.

Mildred fears she was hasty and didn’t hear the Lord’s calling properly. Sister Monica Joan (who has finagled her way to the Outer Hebrides on a spiritual quest) suggests that God has not yet shown her all that he intends.

And so the elderly nun sets off in search of a messianic deer. She momentarily spots the white stag near some rock formations before he wanders off. When Mother Mildred and Sister Julienne catch up to her, an overjoyed Monica Joan tells her sisters,

“I knew Him at once from the love in his glance. He came, He looked and He departed.”

Mother Mildred accepts Monica Joan’s account seriously and respectfully, saying they will accept His blessing and look for Him in another place... "

source:

https://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2019/12/26/call-midwife-holiday-special-2019-recap

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova