Honored Contributor

What movie did you HAVE to see when you were a kid?

I was reminded of a movie I HAD to see as a kid by the other movie thread.  This wasn't because of its value or storyline or anything similar, but just because the young actress in it had been in a tv series that I had adored.

Were there any movies you HAD to see when you were younger because you had a crush on the star or wanted to see what they were wearing or because of some other, I guess you could say, "secondary" reason - even though it was super important to you at the time.

Here is my Cape Fear story:

It wasn't my favorite, but I remember 1962's Cape Fear.

I so desperately wanted to see it because of Lori Martin, who had played "Velvet" in the tv version of National Velvet.  She was said to look like Elizabeth Taylor.

My parents really didn't want me to go see Cape Fear but all the racy "stuff" went over my head and all I was interested in was Lori Martin - what she wore, how she wore her hair, etc.  I was about her age and thought anybody who had been involved with horses was someone to emulate.  She played Gregory Peck's and Polly Bergen's daughter, and she and Ms. Bergen were terrorized by Robert Mitchum's character throughout most of the movie.  It was pretty dark and actually a pretty good movie.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Re: What movie did you HAVE to see when you were a kid?

I was 6 years old, my sister was 8 years old.  My mom was a Beatles fan.  We just had to see Help.  My sister and I screamed along with all those teenagers.

Respected Contributor

GI Blues

Elvis

Need I say more?

Trusted Contributor

@LoriMI wrote:

I was 6 years old, my sister was 8 years old.  My mom was a Beatles fan.  We just had to see Help.  My sister and I screamed along with all those teenagers.

I soooo wanted to see the Beatles' Let It Be movie, since it was to be their last. My older brother and sister and my cousins were going, but I was deemed too young. Whaaaaat?! I never cried so much in my life. 

I finally found a DVD last year from a UK vendor. :-)

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Respected Contributor

Homegirl, I enjoyed your comments about Lori Martin. I LOVED "National Velvet" so much. "Cape Fear" is a very scary movie, though (both versions). Now I feel like watching it again!

The movie I had to see was "Parent Trap"--because of Hayley Mills. Loved the movie, loved the song. Skipped the remake.

Super Contributor

Homegirl:  Your post brings back some memories.  When my friend and I were about 13 years old we developed the biggest crush on Audie Murphy, who made mostly Westerns at the time.  We used to go to the movies once a week and we just couldn't wait to get there when he had a new movie - and we sat through it in a trance.   

Respected Contributor

Sound of Music....lived in Ithaca, NY and had to drive to Syracuse an hour away with my mother because it was not coming to my town. Remember when these type movies such as Wiz of Oz were only on TV once a year? We had to wait to see these movies. Told my kids this and they couldn't believe it since they can watch it any time on DVD.

Respected Contributor

"Flashdance" - but, it was rated R, so I had to wait until it was aired on Cable.  I was dying tio see it, because all my older cousins raved about it.

Respected Contributor

I guess age 15 qualifies as a kid....at least is does to me.  Anyway, the movie I HAD TO SEE was Blue Hawaii with Elvis Presley.  My Mom dropped me off in front of the piano store for me to go have my piano lesson and as soon as her car was out of sight, I ran across the street to the movie theater and used my lesson money to see Blue Hawaii.  I remember sitting there by myself mesmerized by Elvis and beautiful Hawaii.....I had my music portfolio on my lap and I remember it kept slipping off on the floor.  It was years later that I told my Mom that I had actually skipped piano lesson that day!

Honored Contributor

"Mary Poppins", I love the music!