Honored Contributor

Re: Trading Spaces Reboot - who watched?

I watched the 2 new episodes last night.....when a person hates bold colors in their home the designer never fails to give them just that. Carters room was lovely IMO. Hildis kaleidoscope room was insane ...and not in a good way.

I bet most of the homeowners redo the rooms are after the show. 

Respected Contributor

What did everyone think of Ty and Carter being designers?  I thought they did a great job.  I loved Kelly & Kevin's room. 

Was there a fire?  I fell asleep and when I woke up it was the end of the show and Paige was mentioning it.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

What did everyone think of Ty and Carter being designers?  I thought they did a great job.  I loved Kelly & Kevin's room. 

Was there a fire?  I fell asleep and when I woke up it was the end of the show and Paige was mentioning it.

I thought both rooms were pretty good. There was a wildfire in the area, but the wind changed directions and they could keep working.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

I thought both rooms were pretty good. There was a wildfire in the area, but the wind changed directions and they could keep working.

Thanks.   Both rooms were nice and glad that they both liked them. 

Trusted Contributor

@SWEET  I liked Carter's room except for the feather windcatcher thingies scattered randomly on one wall with the flower holders. The green desk and cupboard were a bit jarring with no other shades of green in the room to pull it together. I didn't care for the curtains, either, as they didn't seem to go with the room. But the paint color and daybed were lovely, along with the fluffy rugs and floor cushions.

Ty's room was reminiscient of Hildi's room from the previous episode with all the geometrics. I liked the sofa and cushions. Lamps should have been larger to make more of a statement against the busy wall. He did make it flow, though.

I like them best as carpenters, but it was a good effort by both of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked the triangle wall Ty did but what is it with designers on these shows and orange?  He could've chosen pretty much any other bright color other than orange and it would've been ok.  I wish he hadn't put the bright colors on the floor.  There was enough in the rest of the room with all the pillows and stuff.  I loved Carter's ombre wall and the day bed.  I was ok with the green desk.  I don't particularly remember the curtains, but that could've been a way to tie the green into the room if done properly, or the daybed coverings.

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVED Ty's room.  I think Hildi's room last week would have been far more successful if she had only done the paining on one wall like Ty did.  I wasn't sure about the carpet squares at first but they grew on me.  Carter's room was well done but just a little too light, soft & girlie for my tastes.  However, I know that was the intent.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

I never watched the original show but would have watched the reboot for Ty Pennington alone. Carter, not sure where I have seen him before, but remember liking him and he is good looking too. I did see the series where Genevieve Gorder rebuilt her home after buying the unit next to hers in New York and liked it, so will be interested to see what she does with a minimalist budget.  I did watch parts of some episodes of the old series and Vern Yip’s was the only one I saw that looked good. Hildi’s designs were terrible that I saw from the reunion show.  

Honored Contributor

Hildi and Doug were hit and miss. They'd occasionally do something good and practical, but far too often they went off into never-never land with their designs. Laurie, Genevieve, Vern and Frank were more reliable. They'd occasionally do something off the wall, but by and large you'd feel pretty safe with them in your house. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in this new season. I think it's been picked up for a second season also as they were advertising for more couples the other day. I believe the first season is already shot and in the can, so they must have been renewed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked BOTH Vern's (no surprise) AND Genevive's (big surprise) rooms in the latest episode.

Next week Nate Birkus and his husband cross over.  Looks like maybe Frank is the other designer.  I would feel comfortable letting Nate and Co. do my room.

I wonder though, how much info is given prior to the designers showing up about what the person wants?  They always ask the people doing the room, but it seems they already know what they want to do and already have paint and other things purchased.  You would think if the homeowner had any I absolutely don't wants they would make that known in the info they provide.  So, that means the designers aren't really interested in what the homeowner really wants when they go against their wishes.  Sometimes it works out for them, but sometimes it doesn't.