Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i believe that you could still smoke in many hospitals in 1980 and through at least part of the 1980s.

I volunteered at our local hospital starting in the late 1970s.  There were areas in the hospital, the lobby, areas in the cafeteria, where you could smoke.  There was no way you could smoke outside the nursery.  The fireman would not have been allowed there unless he was a father of one of the newborns or there was a fire.  Frequently I delivered flowers to the maternity floor.  I needed to put on a gown  then leave the flowers at the desk.  I could not sneak a peak at the babies.

I was in PA but not Pittsburgh.

it really depends on the areas and the hospitals. there were MANY hospitals still at that time where smoking was allowed......in patients rooms, in the wards, even at the nurses stations. people could also come and go quite easily all over the hospital....no id, no checking in required.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@PickyInPA wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Last night seemed like a filler to me.  I do not know how important it was to know the fireman's back story.  We knew the doctor missed his wife but I did not like the inference to her pills and suicide.

I'm still confused how in 1980 a couple that  just had triplets would be able to take a foundling home with them.  Also what hospital would have allowed smoking right outside the nursery?

@abbeythe 8th

Did I miss something? I did not get the impression that the doctor's wife committed suicide, only that she had been sickly between all the medications & the wheelchair that was taken out at the end when he started clearing out her things.

@PickyInPA

I got the impression he was contemplating suicide using her pills just to be with her.

@abbeythe 8th@PickyInPA....It's interesting how we all can perceive certain scenes so differently....I didn't get that impression at all....We see her clothes still hanging in the closet....her wheelchair still in the room...her dressing table with her hairbrush and perfume bottles, etc. and then, when he opened the medicine cabinet, all of her medications.....all signs that were meant to show us how difficult it has been for him to let go and how he was still holding on to every personal material remembrance of her.

Then, while visiting her gravesite, his beeper went off and that was the call to the hospital, whereby Rebecca and Jack entered his life which proved to have a very positive influence on his life...His life changed after that, as he followed his own words of comfort that he gave to Jack in the waiting room.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Last night seemed like a filler to me.  I do not know how important it was to know the fireman's back story.  We knew the doctor missed his wife but I did not like the inference to her pills and suicide.

I'm still confused how in 1980 a couple that  just had triplets would be able to take a foundling home with them.  Also what hospital would have allowed smoking right outside the nursery?

I didn't take seeing the pills to mean she had committed suicide.  I thought it meant she had an illness that required that many prescriptions.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree, I doubt his wife committed suicide, but her pills should have been tossed long ago.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I agree, I doubt his wife committed suicide, but her pills should have been tossed long ago.

I think the pills were meant to represent his inability to move on.  It made me wonder if her clothes were still in the closet, etc.  I have known people who could not dispose of their spouse's belongings for a long time.  For them it represented moving on and they couldn't do it until they were ready.

That's how I interpreted the pills in the medicine chest.

Trusted Contributor

I did not say his wife committed suicide.  When he was at her grave he mentioned joining her.  I had the impression he was thinking of taking her pills to join her.  He was interrupted by his beeper.  After he delivered the babies, he decided he did have something to live for and got rid of her clothes and meds.

I read another tv forum  and this was discussed there.  Some felt it was a possibility.

I read the actor that plays Toby is wearing a fat suit much to his disappointment.  He didn't think it was necessary to be fat to have a relationship with Kate.

Honored Contributor

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/chris-sullivan.jpg?w=2000&h=1333

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I did not say his wife committed suicide.  When he was at her grave he mentioned joining her.  I had the impression he was thinking of taking her pills to join her.  He was interrupted by his beeper.  After he delivered the babies, he decided he did have something to live for and got rid of her clothes and meds.

I read another tv forum  and this was discussed there.  Some felt it was a possibility.

I read the actor that plays Toby is wearing a fat suit much to his disappointment.  He didn't think it was necessary to be fat to have a relationship with Kate.

@abbeythe 8th...That's interesting!...I hadn't heard that before!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Sunshine - if you size the pic down, the proportions will be fixed.  Smiley Happy