Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Last night seemed like a filler to me.  I do not know how important it was to know the fireman's back story.  We knew the doctor missed his wife but I did not like the inference to her pills and suicide.

I'm still confused how in 1980 a couple that  just had triplets would be able to take a foundling home with them.  Also what hospital would have allowed smoking right outside the nursery?

cant answer the question about how they were able to "adopt" like that. maybe that will be in the storyline in the future?

i believe that you could still smoke in many hospitals in 1980 and through at least part of the 1980s.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i believe that you could still smoke in many hospitals in 1980 and through at least part of the 1980s.

I volunteered at our local hospital starting in the late 1970s.  There were areas in the hospital, the lobby, areas in the cafeteria, where you could smoke.  There was no way you could smoke outside the nursery.  The fireman would not have been allowed there unless he was a father of one of the newborns or there was a fire.  Frequently I delivered flowers to the maternity floor.  I needed to put on a gown  then leave the flowers at the desk.  I could not sneak a peak at the babies.

I was in PA but not Pittsburgh.

Honored Contributor

re the purple dress

I'm sure it wasn't her idea to "advertise" this.  It was a publicity move by her people and the show and she didn't look especially thrilled trying on the dresses.

However, when the decision was made to not wear one of CS's dresses, whoever put that publicity stunt together should have called CS to let him know she wasn't wearing the dress.

But I don't think it was on her as I doubt thsi was her idea.  And I doubt she'll never do something like that again.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Last night seemed like a filler to me.  I do not know how important it was to know the fireman's back story.  We knew the doctor missed his wife but I did not like the inference to her pills and suicide.

I'm still confused how in 1980 a couple that  just had triplets would be able to take a foundling home with them.  Also what hospital would have allowed smoking right outside the nursery?

@abbeythe 8th

Did I miss something? I did not get the impression that the doctor's wife committed suicide, only that she had been sickly between all the medications & the wheelchair that was taken out at the end when he started clearing out her things. 

Trusted Contributor

@PickyInPA wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@abbeythe 8th

Did I miss something? I did not get the impression that the doctor's wife committed suicide, only that she had been sickly between all the medications & the wheelchair that was taken out at the end when he started clearing out her things. 

@PickyInPA

I got the impression he was contemplating suicide using her pills just to be with her.

Regular Contributor

@abbeythe 8th

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't totally awake when I read your post this morning & thought you meant his wife died of suicide. I agree with you that it seemed he was contemplating it when speaking to her at her grave. 

Frequent Contributor

I have been a nurse since 1984, and I can tell you that back then, smoking was allowed in the entire hospital.  Staff used to smoke right at the nurse's station. 

Honored Contributor

@islandergirl wrote:

I have been a nurse since 1984, and I can tell you that back then, smoking was allowed in the entire hospital.  Staff used to smoke right at the nurse's station. 

Around here, I think the last people denied the right to smoke in them were actually the patients... Go figure...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My Uncle worked in a hospital lab and when they banned smoking, they banned it on the entire grounds, so he had to drive off the grounds at lunch to smoke.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@islandergirl wrote:

I guess our local hospital was ahead of their time, banning smoking from most of the hospital.

I remember seeing patients wheeled outside in wheel chairs for a cigarette.