Esteemed Contributor

Re: TCM CHRISTMAS MARATHON STARTING DECEMBER 18

@stevieb  - AMC will be airing White Christmas on Sunday, Dec. 13th at 11:30 AM (Eastern).    I love this movie and don't know why it isn't being shown more often this year.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister  Thank you and I agree. Most of the holiday movies, many of them far less worthy than this one, are being shown over and over again and ostensiblly this will be the lone showing of this classic... Go figure... I'll have to DVR it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It appears White Christmas isn't on the list. Hoping someone else will opt to show this one. Sort of a shame that they aren't offering it during this holiday season.

@stevieb 

white christmas is currently available on netflix.

it will be shown on AMC on december 13th during the day. may have some repeat showings, but i am not seeing any at this time so far.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

Holiday Inn is a very problematic movie. That's why it isn't shown much anymore. The portrayal of African Americans is cringe-worthy and despite disavowal in presenting the film, the black-face is beyond upsetting. It's a shame since the rest of the film is very good. Hopefully, the movie powers-that-be can figure out a way to present this film within the context of the time it was created. It's important that we know our history, even the bad stuff.

Glad you mentioned Holiday Inn, @Vivian .  It's a classic film from 78 years ago. Irving Berlin wrote 12 songs for it, the best known being "White Christmas," sung for the first time by Bing Crosby, whose co-star was Fred Astaire. Louise Beavers -- who played Mamie, the only character wise enough to cut down and talk sense into Bing's love-lorn, prideful character -- was a beloved star whose many movies led to her induction into The Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame. Holiday Inn has been a favorite seasonal entertainment of mine since childhood. While It's understandable that some today will be unable or unwilling to appreciate it for what it is, TCM's decision to omit it from the Christmas lineup strikes me as short-sighted and sad.

holiday inn is a favorite of mine(probably only second to white christmas) and i do own it on dvd.

it is currently being shown on the HITZ channel that comcast carries. the movie shows as free to me, but i dont know if that depends on the package you may have. it will run through the end of the year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@stevieb  - AMC will be airing White Christmas on Sunday, Dec. 13th at 11:30 AM (Eastern).    I love this movie and don't know why it isn't being shown more often this year.

AMC has commercials now. I can't watch a classic movie when I know it's going to be interrupted 100 times by a commercial. I would wait till the cows come home for TCM or Fox or another station to air it sans commercials. I consider it a travesty!

Honored Contributor

Pass on all.   No 'Scrooge' movies I see. Kind of like them more realistic. LOL

^snowsled.gif

Esteemed Contributor

A bit more about the Holiday Inn "controversy ";

When aired on many commercial supported broadcast stations, the offensive scene is often edited out.

TCM, not having outside sponsorship, in adherence to its no editing mandate,  has shown it intact when it has shown the film.

With commercial sponsors,  AMC has used the edited version. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A bit more about the Holiday Inn "controversy ";

When aired on many commercial supported broadcast stations, the offensive scene is often edited out.

TCM, not having outside sponsorship, in adherence to its no editing mandate,  has shown it intact when it has shown the film.

With commercial sponsors,  AMC has used the edited version. 

Kudos to TCM. So weary of the rewriting of history, good or bad. It amounts to denying reality. History really can't hurt any even semi-intelligent person, but not knowing about it surely can. I'm not much of a fan of Holiday Inn, so however they show it is of little actual consequence to me, but editing down films, and history, to the lowest common denominator is, to me, what is offensive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Holiday Inn isn't a great film.  But it's a good film and I find it entertaining,  especially the music.  And definitely of its time, which is always important to remember. 

Pearl Harbor occurred during filming,  and the July 4th sequence was rewritten and expanded. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager  I respect the film, but sorry to say, I never could sit through it. For whatever reason, and I've never been able to get in touch with why, I just don't care for it. Of course, blasphemy though it might be to some, I'm sure a large factor has to do with the reality that I've never much cared for Bing or Fred... 

Smiley Wink