Honored Contributor

QUIRKY MANNIX EPISODE (SAT.) 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

MV5BOThjOTU3ZDItYzMxNC00YmVmLWI0MzQtMDI0YmI2NmI1NzYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA2MTczNjM@._V1_.jpg

Rats, I wish I had noticed this to alert earlier!

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Sat. METV  Mannix  "Silent Target"--   Mike Connors, Gail Fisher, Barbara Luna, John Hillerman, Frank Langella, Del Monroe

This is such pure, essential Mannix!  Fun to record and watch when the mood strikes.   Mannix has bid devoted secretary Peggy, farewell, and departed L.A. for a remote fishing vacation idyll.   He gets waylaid out in the desert, stumbles upon a luxe but mysterious compound run by slippery John Hillerman, and starts getting "danger vibes" pretty quickly!

MV5BMmM1YmNiNDYtN2YzYy00ZjE4LTgxYzAtOWNiMTU0NmMxODZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA2MTczNjM@._V1_.jpg

Great cast-- pre-"Magnum" John Hillerman, intense theater dynamo Frank Langella, and the stunning, wistful Barbara Luna.  I like her chemistry with Mike Connors here.

MV5BNjg4Mzg0MWItNzI3NS00NDlhLTgzOGMtNjM5ZTZhNmIxYTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA2MTczNjM@._V1_.jpg

Whenever watching "Mannix",  I just revel in the, for want of a better word, "normalcy" of the guy, and that of his super-devoted assistant, Peggy.  He's a regular guy, but that doesn't mean he isn't sensitive when need be (but not 'ooky'-sensitive), and he's tough and protective.  He's especially good when he's plunked down in a baffling, perilous situation in which he must use both his brains and brawn, in pretty equal measure.

I also love the mountainous, desert terrain of this episode, reminding me of starkly beautiful Arizona.  Mannix just has to get out of the mean streets once in awhile, even if there's menace in the desert!  

Respected Contributor

Re: QUIRKY MANNIX EPISODE TONIGHT 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

Hi @Oznell  . I don't usually watch old TV episodes like I watch old movies, but I feel like I might be missing something. I watched Johnny Carson a couple times, and I like shows John Hillerman was in. The more I read posts on past TV shows that others are watching, it makes me think I should broaden my horizons, open my mind more, and educate myself by tuning in a few times.  Hopefully I won't be buying items related to vintage TV shows like I bought vintage-inspired dinnerware & flatware LOL.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh I wish I could stay awake to watch this!  I love Barbara Luna...so beautiful, and such a spirited actress.

I "googled" her awhile back, and discovered her only marriage was to Doug McClure back in the 60s...would that not be a gorgeous couple?

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @Desert Lily --  I think it's a potentially fun area for you to venture into.  It'll help if you get at least one vintage channel.  Then you can sample various shows, depending on what you like-- comedy, police, variety, detective shows--  without having to buy any DVDs or anything.  I like a lot of pre-1980 programming, since the values tend to be more compatible with mine-- it's a great place to visit when 'the present' is just too much crazy-town!

They would be a dreamy couple, @alicedee !   Such a beautiful actress.  I heard she was up for "West Side Story", but missed out for reasons I can't remember.  I love to come across her in various shows....

Respected Contributor

@Oznell I have at least a couple vintage channels, but I've just been passing them by. I like detective and police shows; the sitcoms not as much - maybe Friends (but is that vintage already? lol.) For variety shows, I liked Carol Burnett. Ed Sullivan could have historical content of how music was evolving then. I haven't checked for any variety shows yet, but I will.

Honored Contributor

It'll be interesting to see to which ones you gravitate, @Desert Lily .

I have a lot of faves, but I'm still selective.  If one of your channels carries "The Fugitve",  that's definitely worth a look. Critically acclaimed, one of the best series ever made.  It's not exactly a "detective" series, except in the loosest sense, but has that noir-ish vibe, and a brilliant lead in the late, lamented David Janssen.  (You might have noticed our ongoing threads on "The Fugitive".  In addition to being on MeTV, a few of the episodes stream free online, so you could check out.)

In my opinion, "Mannix" is the best "regular" detective show.  I like "Cannon" and "Barnaby Jones",  but like most shows, the writing can be uneven, especially toward the end of the run...   "Diagnosis Murder" is more recent, from the 90's and early 2000's and benefits from having wonderful D i c k Van D y k e and a strong cast. Also like "The Saint" series with witty Roger Moore, which runs on FETV.   You'd probably like "Mission Impossible", if only for the stylish set design and production values!

Oh, there are too many to recommend!  I hope you have fun experimenting--  let  us know how you fare!

Honored Contributor

Re: QUIRKY MANNIX EPISODE (SAT.) 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

I like mannix and find him to be a unique character!  Even though it is an old show it still has appeal and great story lines which fit into present entertainment. Timeless!