Respected Contributor

Re: Only have Antenna and I am tired of

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I called a company and they said a antenna called terk could possibly get me more channels but I am around concrete builidngs so it may not work and it is $40 but I am going tomorrow or Thursday and take back the new computer as my other computer just came on after 5 weeks.  I am going to miss my new one but I don't need to keep both so I will try this Terk I think its called and put that in my bedroom. 

I miss cable but not the prices.  Besides I only watched like 10 channels. 

You're going to attempt to return a computer that you've taken out of the box and used? For how long? Don't be surprised if you're hit with a hefty restocking fee or just a flat out "NO". 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Netflix has a free trial period so you could sign up to see if you like what's there and cancel after a week if you don't think you'll use it.

You could go online to various TV station's websites.  Some have free shows available for streaming.  Other shows require a subscription or require you to enter a password set up through a cable provider.  You could still browse and see which freebies are available.

I also like previous suggestion to visit your local library.  Our library has lots of shelves full of DVDs with many popular movies and TV shows.  Just always be sure to note the due date because here the overdue fines can add up each day if I'm not careful.

I can stream movies from my library.  She doesn't even have to go there to pick them up.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Netflix has a free trial period so you could sign up to see if you like what's there and cancel after a week if you don't think you'll use it.

You could go online to various TV station's websites.  Some have free shows available for streaming.  Other shows require a subscription or require you to enter a password set up through a cable provider.  You could still browse and see which freebies are available.

I also like previous suggestion to visit your local library.  Our library has lots of shelves full of DVDs with many popular movies and TV shows.  Just always be sure to note the due date because here the overdue fines can add up each day if I'm not careful.

I can stream movies from my library.  She doesn't even have to go there to pick them up.

That's awesome you have a streaming service at your local library!  😀

My library offers digital books and magazines, as well as an online service to teach a foreign language, but we don't have the ability to stream movies.  Hopefully, they'll add that some day soon for us.

Honored Contributor

We have Direct and Antenna and we are sick of both.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@DowntonAbbey, Sounds like you are way overdue to re-scan to see what stations you can get on your TV. 

I use over-the-air (antenna) reception, no satellite or cable. I currently get 59 stations.

I'm never at a loss for something to watch. And don't overlook radio. Turn off The View and replace it with an hour of music you enjoy. It'll be good for you.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't watched that show since way before Barbara left.  I can't stand any of the people on this show.  I have been able to avoid the entire show for many years, except for when I see posts like this.

These people (based on what I see here) only spew out hatred for anyone who disagrees with them.  I want to watch something that gives both sides of whatever the discussion is about.  I've been known to change my mind here because sometimes I've been given both sides to a discussion.

That's what intelligent people do.  They discuss both sides of a subect and respect the feelings of everyone (even and especially those they disagree with).

You can get other stations with a few changes other than the antenna.  My daughter has an antenna and has bought adapters, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@DowntonAbbey, Sounds like you are way overdue to re-scan to see what stations you can get on your TV. 

I use over-the-air (antenna) reception, no satellite or cable. I currently get 59 stations.

I'm never at a loss for something to watch. And don't overlook radio. Turn off The View and replace it with an hour of music you enjoy. It'll be good for you.  

Hello @x Hedge.  I saw your comment about over the air reception.  Could you please share some info about which one you use?  I posted in another thread about our cable bill going up so I have been researching other options.  

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan  I get great reception using old (ancient!!!) metal telescoping rabbit ears that are probably older than you. Sooo...for something from THIS century,

Try Googling :

indoor digital TV antenna consumer reports

There are 7 broadcasters putting out at least 30 digital channels in my county. I pickup the rest from broadcasters in surrounding countys. Im in the most densely populated half of the state. What you received is definitely determined by where you are.

Digital uses such a narrow bandwidth compared to the old analog, allowing both big and small broadcasters to put out multiple channels in the same bandwidth that used to only carry one analog channel.

That means ALL broadcasters have been eager to add more channels, since they can sell sell advertising on multiple channels instead of just one. For example a broadcaster near me owns one transmission tower, but now puts out 5 separate channels instead of just one. And more channels means more viewing choices for us. 

@wildcat fan wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Hello @x Hedge.  I saw your comment about over the air reception.  Could you please share some info about which one you use?  I posted in another thread about our cable bill going up so I have been researching other options.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @x Hedge!  😀😀😀

Our local cable TV package (which is one step up from their lowest basic package) has gone up to $145/month plus fees and taxes, so we're looking at other possibilities.  I'll definitely look into those antenna options.  Thank you so much!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

sorry....double post