Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 Pound Life: Irony

These people who eat themselves to the point they can not wipe themselves are consuming over 30,000 calories a day to maintain their weight. They are feeding themselves.....no one is putting the food in their mouths and forcing them to swallow. These days the term disease is used too loosely.  

Respected Contributor

The ones that work so hard to lose the amount of weight & just the amount of weight that Dr. Now tells them so he can schedule them for the bariatric surgery kind of get to me. 

Then, they think once they have the surgery they don't have to diet anymore & the weight will magically come off with zero work on their parts.  If they don't keep to a diet & exercise program, their cravings will come back & they'll start putting the weight back on.  That's why I wonder why the Dr. doesn't make them go thru counseling first, prior to the surgery to get a grip on whatever caused them to put so much weight on in the 1st place & eat so much. (maybe, he does & they just don't show it on the show, but they should)

Some of those folks think it's just fine for them to be laying in their bed, frying up chicken & catfish & kneading meatloaf & think that's them contributing & doing their part to caring for the family.

Honored Contributor

They have enablers.

Some people don't know how to "love", their idea of love is "if you love me you bring me food" or on the other hand "give him more food".

It is an illness.    In every one of the cases I've seen, there is always someone doing the enabling.    Which is the same for alcoholics or drug addicts too.

These bedridden obese people are not feeding themselves at that point.   

@SeaMaiden

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

These people who eat themselves to the point they can not wipe themselves are consuming over 30,000 calories a day to maintain their weight. They are feeding themselves.....no one is putting the food in their mouths and forcing them to swallow. These days the term disease is used too loosely.  

I don't know where you get that 30K figure ~ I've heard Dr Now say it's in the neighborhood of around 6000 calories a day, and that's the amount that comes up if you google it.

It truly makes you wonder how many people are this morbidly obese. As for their diet, they sure eat a lot of junk food. That stuff doesn't even taste that good.

Honored Contributor

@tennpal15 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't know where you get that 30K figure ~ I've heard Dr Now say it's in the neighborhood of around 6000 calories a day, and that's the amount that comes up if you google it.

It truly makes you wonder how many people are this morbidly obese. As for their diet, they sure eat a lot of junk food. That stuff doesn't even taste that good.

I have heard 30,000 calories mentioned in one of the shows.  I don't know if it was a general figure, or in reference to someone specific.

Honored Contributor

I, too, have heard of many of these folks who are super morbidly obese will tend to eat 30,000 OR MORE calories a day.   That, in itself, is quite a feat.  But I guess they get to the point that their bodies need a massive amount of calories.   But it doesn't start out that way.  They make it that way.

I've seen bits on other shows, over the years, where people documented how much they eat in any given day and, yup, it's in the tens of thousands of calories.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I, too, have heard of many of these folks who are super morbidly obese will tend to eat 30,000 OR MORE calories a day.   That, in itself, is quite a feat.  But I guess they get to the point that their bodies need a massive amount of calories.   But it doesn't start out that way.  They make it that way.

I've seen bits on other shows, over the years, where people documented how much they eat in any given day and, yup, it's in the tens of thousands of calories.

I just didn't think that was physically possible.

whew. Just googled again and apparently there were a couple of women that wanted to get bigger (!!!) so they were consuming that many calories a day.

what a world.

Esteemed Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

I am sorry that this thread has turned into a "bash the fat people" fest.  My original intention was to praise the "600 lb. Life" series for being honest and for motivating many others to keep up the struggle. My objection was to the TLC Network promoting "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" at the same time that it was showing people almost dying on screen from the very condition that they glorify in MBFFL.

I am rather disturbed at the amount of venom and spurious criticism of those who are patients of Dr. Nowzaradan's.  What you observe on TV is highly edited and condensed. Your suppositions as to who pays for these patients, and your bashing of people with weight problems contribute to the misunderstanding that keeps many people running to food for comfort. 

Obesity is a disease that often needs medical intervention and psychiatric help to overcome. 

Thank you for your understanding and compassion.

I am sorry too.  You are correct in that the shows are edited.  It appears the people believe that they are shown in real time.  Same shaming and blaming and the same ol arguments for everything that people have no understanding of.  It's an eating disorder on the same spectrum as anoxeria and bulimia.

Honored Contributor

For the record, even though obesity may be an eating disorder for some, most anorexics and bulimics do not have enablers helping them starve and/or throw up.

Most of the criticisms here are in reference to the people helping the patients eat themselves to death.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that's the number the doctor quotes, 30,000 calories to sustain a weight of 600+ pounds.  I've heard it more than once.

The average person eats about 2000 a day.  If you're trying to lose weight, you go on a diet using about 1200 calories a day.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)