Valued Contributor

I was watching "My 600 lb Life" this afternoon--the episode with the twins. I found the

twins very sympathetic, and I love that they are so close and are helping each other to lose weight and try new experiences in life. I wish them every success! However, I found it ironic that, during the part of the show when one twin had a medical emergency and had to be put in a coma, and her sister is so distraught--that  the TLC network chose to put in one of those "watch me" pop-ups for "My Big Fat Fabulous Life!" And it shows up right underneath the close up of the comatose sister's face. Talk about poor timing!

My husband is struggling with weight issues, and we are following a strict diet to help him lose some of his 400 plus pounds.  He finds the "600 lb life" show encouraging, especially when they show that it is a long, hard process. He has faced a lot of health problems and embarrassment, but has been steadily improving week by week. But, there is nothing fabulous about being big and fat!

OK, just my two cents--take it for what it's worth.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My 600 Pound Life: Irony

I have an unnatural love for this interesting show. My heart always goes out for them as they struggle to lose weight. Wishing your husband the best on his weight loss journey.

Honored Contributor

I can't watch shows like that.    I lost my first cousin to morbid obesity.    She was over 500#..........very proud of her weight, and didn't think anything was wrong.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Any entity that glamorizes obesity ought to be severely criticized and such garbage should never be peddled as "entertainment".  It brings as much misery as any other disease and has psychological as well as complex physical complications.

IMHO that Dr. Nowzarden in Houston is just awful and apparently is a Medicaid provider enriching himself on the backs of low-income patients.  He has zero compassion/bedside manner/charisma.  I've never seen one of his patients who didn't live in marginal housing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't want t be insensitive but how does one get so big? Isn't there a time when you say enough is enough. It must be impossible to get around without being exhausted. Also, you must realize what this is doing to your heart and other organs. I always wondered how much one must eat to gain this weight. I have struggled with my weight all my life but i know when it is time to take charge and get healthy. I have lost 60 lbs on my own. I watch what I eat, drink water and walk 5-6 miles three or four times a week. It is hard to lose weight but I am very motivated to be healthy. I know the lady in my beauty salon needed to lose 180 lbs and she had bariatric surgery. She lost 100 lbs in five months. Is this possible when someone who is grossly overweight can do or is it to dangerous? I wish you husband well.

Respected Contributor

These folks seem to have family that enable them & do for them so they can get that big.  If the person lived on their own, they'd have to stay thin enough to at least stay mobile enough to see to their own needs.

On another note,  a lot of these folks say they were heavy as children.  I grew up in the 50's & I only recall a couple of moderately heavy kids in school & they were just chubby, not morbidly obese.  I wonder if it's because the food of my childhood was less processed & fat/calorie dense? 

A lot of people today eat a lot of fast food & junky stuff as their regular meals (It seems like most of the folks on My 600 Lb Life eat a lot of fast food) where fast food was a rare occasional treat for my family as a kid & it wasn't as readily available on every corner back then. 

Super Contributor

I  have wonder the same thing. I look back at pictures of the neighborhood kids, we all were skinny kids.We played outdoors , rode bikes and I don;t ever remember going out to eat at fast food places..

Respected Contributor

@moongirl wrote:

I  have wonder the same thing. I look back at pictures of the neighborhood kids, we all were skinny kids.We played outdoors , rode bikes and I don;t ever remember going out to eat at fast food places..

I think the 1st time I had a McDonald's burger I was about 10-11 (I grew up in SoCal) & the only size they made was a single patty burger & the fries came in a small bag, so the portions were a lot less than what they sell today.    

Before that, all of my burgers were homemade at family BBQs & were much better tasting anyway!

Honored Contributor

Shame on every single reality show!! First there is NO truth! Shows are scripted. Ridiculous! Wives franchise!! To K Family. Speaks volumes about society. No longer support certain news channels do to fake news. The same concerning pathic bottom of the barrel entertainment industry. Thank goodness! My Grandparents are not here to see where! TV has sunk to. Long live, Retro TV and TCM.
Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

I was watching "My 600 lb Life" this afternoon--the episode with the twins. I found the

twins very sympathetic, and I love that they are so close and are helping each other to lose weight and try new experiences in life. I wish them every success! However, I found it ironic that, during the part of the show when one twin had a medical emergency and had to be put in a coma, and her sister is so distraught--that  the TLC network chose to put in one of those "watch me" pop-ups for "My Big Fat Fabulous Life!" And it shows up right underneath the close up of the comatose sister's face. Talk about poor timing!

My husband is struggling with weight issues, and we are following a strict diet to help him lose some of his 400 plus pounds.  He finds the "600 lb life" show encouraging, especially when they show that it is a long, hard process. He has faced a lot of health problems and embarrassment, but has been steadily improving week by week. But, there is nothing fabulous about being big and fat!

OK, just my two cents--take it for what it's worth.Woman Happy

I have never seen the show, I don't watch shows like that.  I know what your husband is going through, I once weighed 370lbs myself and I have been overweight and fat my since childhood.  Only someone who has walked in your husband's shows knows his struggle.  I will him all the luck in the world.  It's not easy but if he keeps at it and takes things one day at a time, he can lose a significant amount of weight.  One thing, I would like to say is that he must not get discouraged when the scale doesn't reflect his hard work...it will.  And when he "slips"....because he will....he should beat his self up or get angy with hisself or discouraged.  Just shrug it off and get right back to his program.  I agree there is nothing at FABULOUS about being morbidly obese and no one wants to that big.  I have to say that not everyone was meant to be thin or even of average weight.  One can be fit and healthy and eat well and still be moderately overweight.  I still struggle, I lost almost 200lbs after weight loss surgery 25 years ago but my body still wants to be 40 or 50lbs heavier.   So, in the past 10 years or so, I have been gaining and losing the same 50lbs.