Esteemed Contributor

Law & Order Shake-Up: Camryn Manheim Not Returning for Season 24

[ Edited ]

Camryn Manheim is set to depart the esteemed ****** Wolf procedural at the end of Season 23, currently airing Thursday nights on NBC, Variety reports. Manheim, who joined the revival in Season 21, currently stars as Lt. Kate Dixon.

"I thank Camryn for her three wonderful seasons helping us relaunch Law & Order," creator ****** Wolf said in a statement, per Variety. "She is a class act, and I wish her nothing but the best for her next chapter."

This marks the second major cast exit this season, following Sam Waterston's fan-favorite DA Jack McCoy stepping down from his post in the Feb. 22 episode "Last Dance." (Read our recap of McCoy's departure here.) Scandal veteran Tony Goldwyn debuted as McCoy's replacement, the politically sensitive DA Nicholas Baxter, on March 14.

Additionally, Jeffrey Donovan exited as Det Frank Cosgrove ahead of Season 23, with sources telling TVLine the actor was let go for creative reasons. Veep's Reid Scott clocked in for his first case as Det. Vincent Riley, who was personally recruited by Lt. Dixon, in the season premiere.  

Meanwhile, Anthony Anderson, who reprised his role as Det. Kevin Bernard, left the show after Season 21. Supergirl alum Mehcad Brooks joined the cast in Season 22 as Frank's new partner Jalen Shaw.

The current ensemble also includes Hugh Dancy (HannibalThe Path) as senior prosecutorial assistant Nolan Price and Oldelya Halevi (Good Trouble) as ADA Samantha Maroun.

Update: Her final appearance will come in the May 16 Season 23 finale, according to Variety.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Law & Order Shake-Up: Camryn Manheim Not Returning for Season 24

Thanks for the update.  I'm not sad to see her leave, not a fave of mine.  I am however a fan of Jeffrey Donovan and miss seeing him as well as "Jack"!

Super Contributor

Especially, Jack! I just said to
My husband the other night “he’s no Jack McCoy”! Yes. I know it’s a show”! Lol
I

Respected Contributor

She was OK. I like the new actor who plays the DA. I just love the Law and Order shows. On Thursday nights, I watch all 3. The new Law and Order is very good. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too am not sorry to see her go. I enjoyed her in a legal series that used to be on (can't remember the name of it), but I have never liked her in this one. Not quite sure why either.

I do feel, however, that having so many come and go in the past few years is not a good sign. Don't understand what is the real reason they are let go or why they would want to leave such an established show. Seems unusual for so many changes.

Respected Contributor

No word on who will replace her?

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I too am not sorry to see her go. I enjoyed her in a legal series that used to be on (can't remember the name of it), but I have never liked her in this one. Not quite sure why either.

I do feel, however, that having so many come and go in the past few years is not a good sign. Don't understand what is the real reason they are let go or why they would want to leave such an established show. Seems unusual for so many changes.

The Practice, it was on from 1997 to 2004, also starred Dylan McDermott, excellent show !!

Honored Contributor

Like her but won't miss her because she really adds nothing to the show.  She's just filler and that's probably why she's leaving.  She's a very good actress and she wants to act.  Last week's show with her deaf son was the only show in which she had a meaningful part, where had more than a couple of sentences in the squad room.   I think we'll be seeing her in another show, sooner rather than later.

Frequent Contributor

Shes an extra who really cares.

Honored Contributor

Huh ... Sounds like Camryn was let go ... or her contract just wasn't renewed.