Honored Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

Sorry, just now seeing this.

'Here is how it stacks up:

Dirty John is the first in this tv series (starring Eric Bana and Connie Britton)

Then there's "Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story" (Christian Slater and Amanda Peet).

These two can be seen probably on many networks at any given time, but I watched them on Netflix.

The thing that led me to watch these two was that someone here recommended them, after I had watched "Dr. Death" made and released in June 2021.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

There is a 1992 movie called "A Womsn Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story" which I have not watched.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 @Tinkrbl44 @joviolin @LyndaGee @Lipstickdiva 

To those who are expressing disappointment about the ending of the BB story vs the Dirty John story I guess this is what I figured.

Because so many people were familiar already with the Betty story, I assumed they did this show with that in mind... perhaps presenting a different "take" on it than in previous airings?

The Dirty John story had at its core a narcissistic psychopath... a personality disorder that little was known about until current time.

Betty Broderick's era had no such knowledge of these mental disorders, and few would have suspected back then that a wife and mother SAHM and prominent, wealthy husband, would have been suffering that kind of abuse.

I thought it was an interesting look at a possible lifestyle of rich and famous that one would never have suspected from the outside looking in.

Also, I wonder if they had to do the BB one because that might have been the only way to have gotten Christian Slater for the Dan part...he probably is experiencing much acclaim from his role in Dr. Death?