Respected Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

I just started watching this last night and at first I thought you are still young and attractive....make yourself get over it and move on.  Then I saw how hard she worked to make the marriage great and what she went throught to get him to where he was.  She was all in 100% and lived to please him. Then I could realize how you could just be driven to kill someone when  you finally get them where they want to be and they dump you......This is a story heard a lot in marriages of the past.  I don't think women are that unselfish and giving today which is a good thing. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

I don't think women are that unselfish and giving today which is a good thing. 

You must don't watch much Dateline, 48 Hours, 20/20, Snapped! and/or ID's Deadly Woman.  Female revenge killings agains husbands goes on just about daily. Smiley Wink

My all time favorite is Clara Suarez Harris.  Back in 2002 I believe, she ran over her husband 3 times w/HIS Mercedes for cheating.  NOt only did this murder make it to the above mentioned tv shows, a tv movie too!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   I don't consider Betty supporting her husband to be unselfish, she wanted the fortune that he was promised to make, and did, unfortunately, he left soon after, though they lived a top notch life, financially speaking, for many years.

Betty had/has a personality disorder which played into the fact that she couldn't get over his leaving and another woman basically taking her place, although she may have gotten over it if Dan had treated her fairly, dividing the community property equally, and not tormenting her for years, which makes what she did understandable, though not preferable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Dan was a lawyer AND knew lawmakers in "high places" who helped him bend the law (loopholes) to his advantage.

@Mz iMac   @sunshine45 

That's EXACTLY what happened.

Back before the murders, while her divorce was being sabotaged at every turn, Betty Broderick somehow got my name and phone number ... and called me at home!  I was doing divorce support group facilitation at the time, and she was hoping I could somehow help her.

Wow.  I have to say, it was the most intense and exhausting phone call ever  she did most of the talking (and venting) and I was a sweating wreck when we hung up.  I probably should have just hung up on the "crazy woman", but the story was in the news and I didn't understand (at that moment in time) why she was having problems with her divorce case.  

A lot of what Betty told me seemed to match what news sources were reporting.  

Not only was Dan extremely well connected in legal circles, but I think he was a tad sadistic in his dealings with Betty.   My guess is she was unstable to begin with, and Dan was so smug with his legal knowledge and friends in high places, that he didn't consider that he had made her a very dangerous person to deal with.    A smarter man would have settled the divorce quietly and moved on with the new woman in his life.   Unfortunately, he wanted to "win" at all costs.  Big mistake.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Wow, what a wild experience that call must have been!!!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Wow, what a wild experience that call must have been!!!

@alicedee 

It really was.  I cannot even imagine how difficult she must have been to deal with in real life.   Yikes.

Respected Contributor

I felt compelled to finish watching the series but it really put me in a bad mood.  Glad I am done with it.   It is just my theory but when men (not all) pull themselves up and become successfull they want to be seen as what they have become not what they were.  The old wife reminds them that they did not do it alone and needed help. She knows everything he does not want to remember.   With the new wife he only sees rich and successful reflected in her eyes.  

Occasional Contributor

Sorry to reply so late, personal problems.  Helen did not have a good lawyer. The ex just paid off the rest of the mortgage for the small cape cod house.  The judge agreed with the lawyer ex-husband that Helen was young and healthy, and didn't have kids at home, so she could work.   And work she did, for minimum wage.  Anyway, she left the tele-marketing job one day, and we never saw her again.  The rumors were that she got help from the government in the "Displaced Homemaker" program and went back to school with student grants and loans.  I hope so.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mz iMac   I don't believe Betty's story that she went to Dan's house to kill herself, she used all of the bullets on them, but I can believe that, in a sense, she snapped, but I think she was planning it as she bought the gun.  Even Dan knew she would probably kill him, but then he should have protected himself and home with security methods.

I watch the returns of Dateline shows, Snapped, and ID.

@mousiegirl   @Mz iMac 

That's one thing that has always bothered me .....  Wouldn't you think Dan would be smart enough to have a really good alarm and security system ... and USE them?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Dan lived in a "things like that don't happen around here" neighborhood. rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif