Honored Contributor

Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

i have always been fascinated by the betty broderick case. looking forward to hearing more about it on this season two of the anthology mini series. if you have not seen the first season of dirty john, i highly recommend it.

Dirty John Is Back for Season 2! See the Chilling Betty Broderick Story Trailer

In real life, Betty was 41 when she shot Dan and Linda. She never denied the killing but said she had been driven over the edge by years of physical and psychological abuse at the hands of her ex-husband. She was convicted of two counts of second-degree murder and sentenced to 32 years to life in prison.

https://people.com/tv/dirty-john-season-2-trailer/?fbclid=IwAR3cvXzHMBAKL96-7niQY-Sb0s3SBwCwbpOBrjlx...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

@sunshine45  me too about Betty Broderick

who is Dirty John? and where is he?

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@sunshine45  me too about Betty Broderick

@Mary Bailey 

dirty john (aka JOHN MEEHAN) was another true crime story. there was a mini series about him in 2018 that came about after podcasts were featured regarding the crimes. there are 8 episodes. if you can watch them, i highly recommend the mini series. i had not heard about it until the mini series began, but according to some, it was highly publicized.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The best movie out there about Betty Broderick is the mini series, A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story.  Meredith Baxter played the you know what out of Betty.

I have the DVD.  Matter of fact, I watched it again this past weekend.

FULL MOVIE--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBeWFfMajq8

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I've heard enough Betty Broderick stories.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Dead

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

She was getting 16K a month spousal support and lived in a mansion.  I believe I could definetely get over any man and move on given those circumstances.

Honored Contributor

@Houstonoilers wrote:

She was getting 16K a month spousal support and lived in a mansion.  I believe I could definetely get over any man and move on given those circumstances.

The long drawn-out Broderick divorce was finalized in 1989, four years after Dan filed for it. By many accounts, Dan dragged the divorce out for four years on purpose. In California, there was a little-known legal concept called "Epstein credits" which worked to thwart any financial settlement entitled to Betty. By the time the divorce trial came to fruition, because of Epstein credits, Betty's share of community property had been substantially reduced. Epstein credits are a provision under California divorce law which says that the supporting spouse (in this case Dan) may charge the dependent spouse (Betty) for one-half of all community debts accumulated – not from the date of divorce, but from the date of separation. If there is a substantial amount of time (in the interim), a dependent spouse may actually accumulate enough Epstein credits to effectively cancel out any share of the community property which might have been forthcoming had the divorce been finalized immediately after separation.

In the case of the Brodericks, legal maneuverings and delays postponed the divorce trial incident after incident. At the divorce trial, Betty represented herself without an attorney. In what many believed was outrageously unfair and what only solidified Dan's clout in the local legal arena, the Broderick divorce trial was completely sealed off from the public at Dan's request. The courtroom door windows were covered up with paper. At the end of the eight day trial, Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epsteins and cash advances, all accrued between the time Dan moved out and the date the divorce was final on January 30, 1989.

In the end, Dan Broderick, multi-millionaire and the father of Betty's four children, was ordered to pay his wife of 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children.

https://murderpedia.org/female.B/b/broderick-betty.htm

Respected Contributor

I don't get ithe title  What does Dirty John have to do with Betty Broderick?

Honored Contributor

they are keeping the name of DIRTY JOHN as the name of the anthology @FranandZoe.

https://www.usanetwork.com/usanetworkvideos/blog/amanda-peet-and-christian-slater-join-usas-dirty-jo...