Valued Contributor

Re: Stevieb, EEL, TK & Co. - 2015 chat about handbags & more

On 1/7/2015 EdithEllenLily said:
On 1/7/2015 stevieb said:

We got just a dusting here yesterday, EEL, but yes, as I said, it would've been SO appreciated had it been two weeks ago, instead of the damp, warm, humid Christmas Eve we experienced that was so foggy you could barely see... but I guess that's the way it goes... We don't tend to get a lot of snow here some years at all, other years we get our share, so I'm hoping we get a few more decent snowfalls (skipping the blizzards and certainly the ice, altogether) before summer rears its repugnant head..

Yes, I enjoy reading a great deal and go through a lot of books in short order. I don't tend toward lofty tomes. With few exceptions, I'm content with a good cozy mystery or some other form of mystery or suspense novel, though occasionally I venture into 'literature'... Right now, I'm reading an Anne Perry and also have a Nancy Atherton going...

As for the vault, it's actually a spare bedroom, one I'd like to clean out and actually use AS a bedroom...

Wink

Yuck, I don't like the heat of summer, either. That's why I'm not outside at the garage sale. As a fair-skinned redhead, I just melt and burn...not good...but the other three seasons are just fine, even this COLD winter...

Hmmm, I've never read either of the authors you mentioned, but I am now curious to check them out. Over the past two years my Mom has been reading so much it's hard to keep up with her. Last year, among other books, Mom read all of Sue Grafton "Kinsey Millhone" mysteries that I have enjoyed one-by-one over the years when they come out. (By the way, I'm not sure if you have read them, "A is for Alibi", "B is for Burglar" etc., but sometimes you remind me of Kinsey, who is an independent, very smart crack-up.) Anyway, I will have to find books by those authors for both Mom and me. A quick search told me that Nancy Atherton includes recipes in her books...I saw something like a sticky lemon cake that's right up my alley.

And oh, yes, I have read about your spare bedroom on which you are working...I'm just glad the handbag vault is not your mother's garage! Wink

I LOVE Sue Grafton's series! I read them all except the last one. Now I am always in search of cozy mystery series. Currently reading Hannah Swensen series..."cake/cookie murders" by Joanne Fluke. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 EdithEllenLily said:
On 1/7/2015 stevieb said:

We got just a dusting here yesterday, EEL, but yes, as I said, it would've been SO appreciated had it been two weeks ago, instead of the damp, warm, humid Christmas Eve we experienced that was so foggy you could barely see... but I guess that's the way it goes... We don't tend to get a lot of snow here some years at all, other years we get our share, so I'm hoping we get a few more decent snowfalls (skipping the blizzards and certainly the ice, altogether) before summer rears its repugnant head..

Yes, I enjoy reading a great deal and go through a lot of books in short order. I don't tend toward lofty tomes. With few exceptions, I'm content with a good cozy mystery or some other form of mystery or suspense novel, though occasionally I venture into 'literature'... Right now, I'm reading an Anne Perry and also have a Nancy Atherton going...

As for the vault, it's actually a spare bedroom, one I'd like to clean out and actually use AS a bedroom...

Wink

Yuck, I don't like the heat of summer, either. That's why I'm not outside at the garage sale. As a fair-skinned redhead, I just melt and burn...not good...but the other three seasons are just fine, even this COLD winter...

Hmmm, I've never read either of the authors you mentioned, but I am now curious to check them out. Over the past two years my Mom has been reading so much it's hard to keep up with her. Last year, among other books, Mom read all of Sue Grafton "Kinsey Millhone" mysteries that I have enjoyed one-by-one over the years when they come out. (By the way, I'm not sure if you have read them, "A is for Alibi", "B is for Burglar" etc., but sometimes you remind me of Kinsey, who is an independent, very smart crack-up.) Anyway, I will have to find books by those authors for both Mom and me. A quick search told me that Nancy Atherton includes recipes in her books...I saw something like a sticky lemon cake that's right up my alley.

And oh, yes, I have read about your spare bedroom on which you are working...I'm just glad the handbag vault is not your mother's garage! Wink

There are also several boxes in my mother's garage...

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I've read and enjoyed a few of Grafton's books... As for cozy authors, I follow too many to mention. One I really enjoy are both series written by Mary Daheim... but gosh, there are so many... And so many of them do include recipes. Sometimes I think I'll start a blog somewhere about books... I know there are already several out there, but heck, we all have our own perspectives and favorites! Lately, I've been reading a few consignment shop mysteries by Duffy Brown and find myself laughing out loud a lot... As for Anne Perry, her series aren't really cozies, but they are mysteries, set is Victorian England... She writes two (or more) series, I prefer the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series, though the William Monk series is good too...

Oh that poor bedroom... I went in and dug out those Sak bags last night... Thought it would kill me, but I found them. Of course, I left the bedroom an even bigger mess than it was, but I decided I will leave it that way and maybe doing so will motivate me to get started... In the process, I came across two boxes of bags that can go... I don't know where they'll go, but they need to go... And, for the record, a great many of my bags are not nicer bags, but go back to the start of my addiction, when I wasn't nearly as discriminating and also when I wisely refused to spend so much for a bag!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Ooooh, thanks for the mystery author information, stevieb and TK!! I will investigate and try some of these out for both Mom and me.

Not sure if either of you read Sue Grafton's "Kinsey and Me" -- short mysteries (Kinsey) and the rather moving autobiographical section (Me). The latter was really something...

Okay, back to GEM day, EEL {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Valued Contributor

On 1/8/2015 EdithEllenLily said:

Ooooh, thanks for the mystery author information, stevieb and TK!! I will investigate and try some of these out for both Mom and me.

Not sure if either of you read Sue Grafton's "Kinsey and Me" -- short mysteries (Kinsey) and the rather moving autobiographical section (Me). The latter was really something...

I got that book signed by Sue Grafton! Smiley Happy but haven't had a chance to read it yet.....
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 tough_kitty said:
On 1/8/2015 EdithEllenLily said:

I got that book signed by Sue Grafton! Smiley Happy but haven't had a chance to read it yet.....

Signed by SG is cool, TK!!! The "Me" part is beautifully written, and you need to read it slowly. I cried. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Valued Contributor

Any thoughts on this pendant? I wish I saw it when it was on sale....about $15 less! But still looks like a great value...made in Italy. http://www.shophq.com/Toscana_Italiana_18K_Gold_Embraced_trade_34_x_19mm_Oval_Turquoise_Pendant_w_30...
Honored Contributor

Eh... I suppose it's pretty enough. To be honest, it doesn't do much for me... and isn't very distinctive, but that's me... I'm also not sure the price is particularly good for a clad piece, no matter where it's made. Keep in mind that no matter what they try to tell you, most turquoise is simply not a pricey gemstone... Hey, it's under a hundred bucks so if you think it's a good daily wear piece and will hold up, I guess it's worth considering.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Hi tough_kitty .... I think the pendant is really pretty. But that being said I have to agree with stevieb.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your opinions, ladies. I think I'll pass for now.... I normally don't wear necklaces anyway and I already have more than enough if I need one...
Honored Contributor

Moving on from my wig-out...so sorry if I offended anyone...had to poof my response...too much all around...geez!