Valued Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

@mtc I forgot about Lamb & Goat too, NO WAY for me!

Respected Contributor

Eggs, I'll bake with them , but I won't eat an egg, ever !!

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.
George Orwell
Respected Contributor

While the list of foods I won't eat is REALLY, REALLY LONG, there is nothing that will stop me from reading a recipe.

As far as I am concerned, if the flavors sound intriguing,  I can eliminate or substitute ANYTHING!  Including meats, veggies and those silly 1/8 tsp of fancy spices I don't have!

With the internet/google...you can come up w/ a sub pretty easy!  And if not...when in doubt, leave it out!  I don't think the recipe suffers all that much.

Esteemed Contributor

Artificial Sweeteners. I rather consume sugar over artificial sweeteners any day of the week.

Occasional Contributor

Lucky charm wrote:

Even before I became vegetarian, then vegan, eggs always made me drop out immediately.  lol

Always hated them.  Wouldn't eat cakes, cookies, brownies, etc., if they had them in them.  Even though I couldn't taste them....they were in there!

It's so much easier now since allergy info is listed on products at the end of the ingredients list.  I don't have to squint and look for that four letter word hiding in the middle.

Of course, for everyone else in my family, I'll read through recipes.

It's *egg* for me, what's your's? 

We must be sisters from the same chicken – LOL!  I’m not vegetarian or vegan and if I can’t taste the egg, I’ll eat the food, but if I can taste even the slightest hint of egg flavor, it makes me gag!  Been this way since childhood.  Hard to go out for breakfast in many restaurants since I do try to avoid excessive carbs, too – i.e., pancakes, muffins, etc.

Frequent Contributor

Mayonnaise!!

Honored Contributor

Reading a recipe? If it looks interesting, I'll read it.

Trusted Contributor

My first thought was there isn't any ingredient.  I love so many foods and there are very few I won't eat or, at least, try.  But then I realized (after seeing in some other posts) that I don't/won't eat veal or lamb.  I guess I'd pass any recipe that included tripe, too.  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Milk and egg whites, but I also lose interest at the mention of olives and mushrooms.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stop short at - 

• mayonnaise
  • sour cream
  • buttermilk
  • cream of <whatever> soup
  • cool whip
  • yogurt
  • margarine (well, that one - if the rest is appealing I would just use butter)

Eggs actually gross me out a LOT, but I'll use them in baking - something where it disappears into the recipe.  BUT, I do have to remove that gross white thing in the egg before putting it into the ingredients.  gack!

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View