Esteemed Contributor

Re: The 1 ingredient that stops you from reading the rest of the recipe?

@momtochloe I forgot about Lamb & Goat too, NO WAY for me!

Honored Contributor

Eggs, I'll bake with them , but I won't eat an egg, ever !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

While the list of foods I won't eat is REALLY, REALLY LONG, there is nothing that will stop me from reading a recipe.

As far as I am concerned, if the flavors sound intriguing,  I can eliminate or substitute ANYTHING!  Including meats, veggies and those silly 1/8 tsp of fancy spices I don't have!

With the internet/google...you can come up w/ a sub pretty easy!  And if not...when in doubt, leave it out!  I don't think the recipe suffers all that much.

Honored Contributor

Artificial Sweeteners. I rather consume sugar over artificial sweeteners any day of the week.

Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Even before I became vegetarian, then vegan, eggs always made me drop out immediately.  lol

Always hated them.  Wouldn't eat cakes, cookies, brownies, etc., if they had them in them.  Even though I couldn't taste them....they were in there!

It's so much easier now since allergy info is listed on products at the end of the ingredients list.  I don't have to squint and look for that four letter word hiding in the middle.

Of course, for everyone else in my family, I'll read through recipes.

It's *egg* for me, what's your's? 

We must be sisters from the same chicken – LOL!  I’m not vegetarian or vegan and if I can’t taste the egg, I’ll eat the food, but if I can taste even the slightest hint of egg flavor, it makes me gag!  Been this way since childhood.  Hard to go out for breakfast in many restaurants since I do try to avoid excessive carbs, too – i.e., pancakes, muffins, etc.

Regular Contributor

Mayonnaise!!

Honored Contributor

Reading a recipe? If it looks interesting, I'll read it.

Esteemed Contributor

My first thought was there isn't any ingredient.  I love so many foods and there are very few I won't eat or, at least, try.  But then I realized (after seeing in some other posts) that I don't/won't eat veal or lamb.  I guess I'd pass any recipe that included tripe, too.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Milk and egg whites, but I also lose interest at the mention of olives and mushrooms.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stop short at - 

• mayonnaise
  • sour cream
  • buttermilk
  • cream of <whatever> soup
  • cool whip
  • yogurt
  • margarine (well, that one - if the rest is appealing I would just use butter)

Eggs actually gross me out a LOT, but I'll use them in baking - something where it disappears into the recipe.  BUT, I do have to remove that gross white thing in the egg before putting it into the ingredients.  gack!