Respected Contributor

Stacey Stauffer wrote a blog about a pork and sauerkraut recipe she makes.

I made it yesterday and it is delicious!

There was some confusion because part of her recipe was missing, but if you read thru the six replies, you will see the missing part.

The apples take out all the sour taste of the sauerkraut.  The whole combo is so good.

It smelled so wonderful cooking all day in the slow cooker.

The only white wine I had in the house was a bottle of sweet wine from Castle Hill Winery 

in South Dakota that I had purchased last year on a trip to SD.   But it worked very well.  Stacey recommended Chardonnay.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stacey's Pork and Saurkraut

I have been making a similar one for years. Delicious. The sauerkraut doesn't even taste like sauerkraut when it is done. I do mine in the oven.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gmkb

This does indeed sound delicious!  Thank you for your review!

Stacey did, however, do a very poor job of blogging and detailing this recipe!

Thanks for letting us know to read the comments to find out about the apples.

But there is still some missing info I didn't see.

I assume you use the butter to saute the onions, apple etc.

But what are you suppose to do with the oil?  Did you use it somehow?

She also writes about a wine mixture, but then only lists the wine as an ingredient.  Did you mix it with something?

I don't have access to FB to see if she clarified anything about that.

TIA for any help!!!

Frequent Contributor

I have to ask, wuld it be too much trouble to list the recipe here? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@gmkb

This does indeed sound delicious!  Thank you for your review!

Stacey did, however, do a very poor job of blogging and detailing this recipe!

Thanks for letting us know to read the comments to find out about the apples.

But there is still some missing info I didn't see.

I assume you use the butter to saute the onions, apple etc.

But what are you suppose to do with the oil?  Did you use it somehow?

She also writes about a wine mixture, but then only lists the wine as an ingredient.  Did you mix it with something?

I don't have access to FB to see if she clarified anything about that.

TIA for any help!!!

@RespectLife I copied this over from her FB page.  It was the only clarification that I saw:

So glad you all like my recipe. So so sorry forgot the apple mix directions. Here they are: Take 3 Golden Delicious apples, peel halve and core them. Add the apples to the onions and thyme when sautéing. That is what I call the apple mixture. Follow rest of directions as they are.

Honored Contributor

I didn't see this recipe but I always add a chopped apple and 1Tbsp brown sugar to my sauerkraut.   No sour taste. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

part of what makes pork and sauerkraut so delicious is it being on the sour side! we dont add anything sweet to ours......just sauerkraut, seared boneless country spare ribs, chopped onion, and lots of freshly ground pepper.....cook low and slow and the sauerkraut mellows out, but still has some sourness to it. it is a very old family tradition for us to serve this with thanksgiving dinner.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

part of what makes pork and sauerkraut so delicious is it being on the sour side! we dont add anything sweet to ours......just sauerkraut, seared boneless country spare ribs, chopped onion, and lots of freshly ground pepper.....cook low and slow and the sauerkraut mellows out, but still has some sourness to it. it is a very old family tradition for us to serve this with thanksgiving dinner.

Sunshine45, my husband would agree with you.  He likes the sour in sauerkraut.  He thought this version was a bit sweet.  I am the opposite, don't like the sour, prefer the sweet.

Respected Contributor

I make ours as my dad always did. He would rinse the sauerkraut first than put a little white wine in. He also added dark brown sugar to it  and stirred that through.

When in the pot he would add an apple cut into half.

When finished you take out the apple.

He made this with a pork roast but fixed the sauerkraut first so he could stir the brown sugar and wine though it.

He said this is German, don't really know but do know it sure is very good and isn't tart and sort of bland like just plain sauerkraut is.

I do put pretty much dark brown sugar in after I drain and rinse the sauerkraut and add the wine, not much, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at most.

You can brown or not your pork roast, I don't.

When finished we have mashed potatoes with this of course and our way is to put mashed potatoes on our plates than top with the sauerkraut than put pork on top of that. This is the way we ate it when we were kids at home and is how my dad said they ate it at home as well.

Of course you don't have to pile it on like this, can eat it as you would any other meal, pork on one portion of your place, sauerkraut on another and  mashed potatoes on another side of your place. I also serve chunky applesauce with this.

Esteemed Contributor

@doglover3 wrote:

I make ours as my dad always did. He would rinse the sauerkraut first than put a little white wine in. He also added dark brown sugar to it  and stirred that through.

When in the pot he would add an apple cut into half.

When finished you take out the apple.

He made this with a pork roast but fixed the sauerkraut first so he could stir the brown sugar and wine though it.

He said this is German, don't really know but do know it sure is very good and isn't tart and sort of bland like just plain sauerkraut is.

I do put pretty much dark brown sugar in after I drain and rinse the sauerkraut and add the wine, not much, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at most.

You can brown or not your pork roast, I don't.

When finished we have mashed potatoes with this of course and our way is to put mashed potatoes on our plates than top with the sauerkraut than put pork on top of that. This is the way we ate it when we were kids at home and is how my dad said they ate it at home as well.

Of course you don't have to pile it on like this, can eat it as you would any other meal, pork on one portion of your place, sauerkraut on another and  mashed potatoes on another side of your place. I also serve chunky applesauce with this.

I make my pork and saurkraut like this. The only difference is

instead of wine, I add a can of beer !  Woman Wink