Trusted Contributor

I made a spiral ham, glazed it, covered with foil and baked low temp 275-285 degrees 10 minute per pound. It came out perfect. I agree over cooking will dry out the ham. Mine wasn't blazing hot, but just served warm.

I tried the following recipe and was really good. I did substitute molasses cookies (from Aldi) since I couldn't find gingersnap cookies.

Bourbon Gingersnap Crusted Ham

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours 45 minutes Total Time: 4 hoursServings: 14

A ham crusted with sweet maple syrup, tangy mustard, bourbon and gingersnaps that makes for a perfect holiday dinner!

• 1 (8 pound) bone in ham, mesh removed, rinsed and pat dry
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup dijon mustard
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies

1. Score the ham by spiraling around it with a knife from top to bottom rotating as you go and then repeat in the other direction forming diamonds with a crisscross pattern about 1 inch apart.
  2. Place the ham in a baking dish, insert a meat thermometer, cover in foil and bake in a preheated 250F oven until the temperature reaches 130F, about 2-4 hours depending on the size of the ham.
  3. Remove the diamonds with tongs, dab dry with paper towels, brush on the maple syrup followed by the mustard, sprinkle on brown sugar, spritze on the bourbon and press on the gingersnap crumbs.
  4. Insert the meat thermometer and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the ham reaches 140F, about 30-60 minutes depending on the size, before letting it rest for 30 minutes and carving it.
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone.......as I had mentioned I decided to try a ""Boars Head boneless smoked ham"". I followed the heating directions that came with the ham and also covered it with their brown sugar glaze that I bought separately and it came out great. It was not salty and it was nice and juicy. It looks like we finally found one that we all liked. I hope that everyone that made a ham had good luck with theirs also.

Occasional Contributor

I made a spiral ham this year for Easter, and looked at every recipe I could find, and finally decided to put it in a oven bag! It was easy and turned out moist and not overcooked. I'll do it this way every year.

Contributor

Forget all the other posts. This is the best spiral ham you will ever have. Buy 1 fully cooked 8-10lb. spiral-cut ham. Do not buy the shank ( the pointy bone end) I live in Michigan and Dearborn brand ham is one of the best. Heat oven to 375.

Place ham, cut side down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour 2 cups of water into roasting pan. Make sure the rack in high enough that the ham is not in the water. Cover ham and pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes. This can be done on the grill, however from experience it cooks faster ,about 1 hour. While ham is heating whisk together 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 12ounce jar of apricot marmalade, 1/4 cup of spicy brown mustard or dijon. Remove foil from ham and brush liberally within the slices the glaze. Bake another 40 minutes uncovered and basting every 10 minutes. IF you want a crusty ham like honey baked, pop under broiler a few minutes till glaze gets bubbly and browned. Watch carefully and do not burn. Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes. I make this every holiday. Buy a good quality ham, it makes all the difference. I have bought the ham QVC sells and it is excellent, not to salty or injected with water ect.