Honored Contributor
On 4/11/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 4/11/2014 chickenbutt said:

Lower heat, maybe, or less time? ETA - oh, and maybe covering it with foil at least toward the end so that moisture is held in.

I kind of like the crispy edges but I make a glaze so it caramelizes on the outside. Smiley Happy But if you are just making it without a glaze, and or don't want it to crisp up on the edge (i.e. dry out), I'd just lower the heat or lessen the time in the oven.

Actually (bad confession) the crispy edges with my glaze are my favorite parts of the ham. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Me too. {#emotions_dlg.blush} I call it "ham candy."Cool

Oh yeah - definitely ham candy! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

There are definitely a lot of options for reheating spiral sliced ham, most of which work really well, in the end I think it kind of ends up being a personal preference sort of thing. We really like spiral sliced ham, but sometimes those spiral cuts do work against you when trying to re-heat and keep it moist. We have used the following oven method, which works pretty well.

Oven Method: Place the ham, cut-side-down, on heavy-duty aluminum foil and wrap the ham thoroughly. Or use an oven roasting bag; follow instructions on the bag for preparation. Bake in a preheated 325 degrees F oven for 10-14 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. If the ham came with extra glaze, follow the package directions for adding it and cooking the glaze. To glaze this type of ham, turn the oven to 400 degrees F, brush the ham with the glaze, and bake for 10-15 minutes until the glaze is browned and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.

Our favorite and most successful method has been an electric roaster oven. We use low heat, which helps, but the trick is the liquid you add to the bottom of the pan (I am not sure if all roasters have you add liquid or not, but both of ours do). This was one of our wing it kind of ideas, but we took some Spiced Cider Powder and water and that is what we put in the bottom of the pan and as the ham warmed we basted it with the spiced cider mix, which not only kept the ham moist, but added a really nice hint of apple and spice. We went a little heavier on the powder to water ratio for extra flavor, but you can add more or less to your taste preference. We also do the cider liquid method for reheating leftover ham or turkey slices on top of the stove in a pan. Add some of the cider spice liquid to the pan and heat pan on high until the liquid gets a good simmer going and your pan is nice and hot, add your slices and more liquid if necessary, put a lid on an turn heat to low, after 2 minutes or so (depends on the thickness of the slices) turn the slices over drizzle with some of the liquid, put the lid back on turn off the heat and let sit for a minute or so while you dish up the rest of the meal, they should be just right by then, nicely warmed and not dried out. Once you get started it will be easy for you to judge the amounts and timing, this is just our own rough explanation of what we do.

Lastly, you had mentioned that you used to make ham for Easter all the time, but found it salty and you triggered a memory, that might help if you want to go back to cooking ham that way. It is an old school method, that odd as it sounds really works. You need a pot that is large enough to hold your uncooked ham, plus enough water to cover the ham and at least (depends on the size of the ham) 2 large apples quartered and 2 large onions cut in half and somewhat separated. Bring it all to a rolling boil for 20 - 30 minutes (can't remember exactly, but sounds right). Remove ham let cool for at least 10 minutes (pat dry if necessary) bake as you normally do. It never failed.

Happy Hamming

tkins

Honored Contributor

I always use Honey Baked Ham. I take ham out and bring to room temp then when I pull the last item out of oven I turn it off and put ham in. That seems to warm it just a little and does not dry it out.

Respected Contributor

We were at a great meat Shop yesterday and saw that they were carrying ""Boars Head Smoked Boneless Hams"" and my DH talked me into trying one. It has heating instructions on the package and it sounds like it is just a small heat up like most of you said. It states to cover with foil while heating like a lot of you also said so we are going to try it. Thank you everyone for all of your advice and recipes. We are thinking of also doing a Spiral one the following week so I will follow your instructions as posted on this thread. Everyone always comes through here in RS!!!

Respected Contributor

We always get a spiral ham ... completely wrap in foil and ""heat up"" according to package directions ... comes out perfect every time!!

Trusted Contributor

I place it in a large roaster then pour a cup of water into the bottom of the pan. Completely cover with foil to seal and heat at 350 for an hour. Uncover, glaze and turn on broiler to crisp up glaze.

Honored Contributor

We always have a spiral ham. You need low head and use foil over it. I think most people overcook them.

They have a lot of water in them to start with so don't overcook it.

Trusted Contributor

I only cook/heat my hams in the pressure cooker now..........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} There is no dry.....plenty of juice, and you can make up your glaze and pour over it, or use cola as your liquid, or fruit juice, or whatever you like.......If use a whole ham, then I will just use a little broth, and remove the ham, and make ham rice while my ham sits under foil............Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

I too have tried making spiral hams several ways and not totally happy with the results. Since it's pre-sliced and cooked, I don't think you can hold the natural juices in the meat, even when it's foil wrapped and cooked on low.

I prefer the old fashioned way of cooking ham..buying the butt half and then cooking and carving when done. It always seems to be tender and holds the natural juices.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Valued Contributor

We just don't think the spiral hams have as much flavor or moisture as the bone in hams. So that is what we buy.