Respected Contributor

Here's an old one I pulled from my files for dinner tonight. It was a cold and snowy day, so this stew, with a batch of hot biscuits, was satisfying. Until specified at the bottom, the notes or comments along the way are not mine.

Five Hour Stew
QVC Recipe Swap | 01/08/2012 by LilBitMissty

2 pounds beef stew meat...I use chuck roast cut in small pieces
1/2 onion..cut up
6 carrots...cut in thirds
1 cup celery...cut in 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons tapioca
pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 cups (20 ounces) canned STEWED tomatoes..NOT plain canned tomatoes

Put everything into a heavy pan or use a dutch oven. Bake at 250º for 5 hours. There is no browning**no watching**and no thickening necessary.

Comments by:
Hope Reigns: My Five Hour Stew, which I just fixed the other day, calls for:
2# stew meat
2 cups potatoes cut up
2 cups carrots cut up
2 cups celery cut up
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
salt & pepper
2 Tablespoons tapioca
1 1/2 tomato juice

250 degrees for 5 hours

DebbieDD: I love this meal in the winter months. Just made this last week (in the crock pot while I was at work) but I do brown the meat first. It makes such a HUGE difference that I tried once without this step and it just was not the same. Doesn't take very long and so worth it.

Brabls: I live in central Texas-extra heat isn't wanted too many days a year! Plus if you wrap the potatoes in a foil packet & place it on top, your potatoes will stay nice & white. Just unwrap & mix in when done.

Mrs. G.:  First, Brabls, Heart   I miss her yet.   I followed HopeReign's inclusion of the thyme and oregano, DebbieDD's advice to brown the beef first and Brabls' suggestion for the potatoes in a foil packet.  Additionally, I added pearl onions to the ½ cup of diced onion.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Hi @IamMrsG  !!

This is indeed a good one as winter finally is hitting us!  It was one of the first things I learned to make as a young bride!

But I never heard of the idea of putting the pots in a foil packet!  Brilliant!  I always thought they looked a little funny colored in this stew!

I would have never known to try this had you not posted this, so Thank You!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife  You're welcome.  Brabls was one of those posters who didn't have a lot to say, but was certainly worth 'listening to' when she did.  She was a valuable ingredient to Recipe Swap.   RIP, Brabls.

Honored Contributor

I have a slow oven Beef Stew recipe similar to these, but I use V-8 juice rather than plain tomato.  I've been using the same recipe for over 30 yrs. but have started making it in the crock pot or Ninja 4-in-1.  Beef stew wasn't something I looked forward to as a kid, but it's a fall and winter favorite now for sure.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  @RespectLife

I must be craving beef, because I put another, yet very different, stew recipe on next week's menu.   Rather than convolute this thread with a myriad of stew recipes, I've started a new thread for it.   If curious, check out Beef Stout Stew.  It's a beer-based stew from Chef Michael Symon, and, at least at our table, is company worthy.