3 cups beef stock
Olive Oil
salt and pepper
flour for dredging

For Garnish:
sour cream
parsley, chopped
cheddar cheese, grated

For easier removal later, bundle together the thyme and rosemary sprigs.

Over medium heat in a heavy bottomed pot, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Season the chuck roast and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Add to the pan and brown. Once deep golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes, add the bacon. Stir to combine.

Add the garlic, onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, salt and pepper.  Add the stout and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan.  Add the beef stock and herb bundle.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook until the chuck is tender (about 1 ½ to 2 hours). Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs and discard.

For Garnish: Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a pinch of parsley and some cheddar cheese.*

*Mrs. G's note:  In my opinion, these add more to the dish than just to garnish, I would not omit any of them.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Great recepie!!!!  I make very similar with Belgian ale. It's a very popular dish in France and Belgium.

Esteemed Contributor

IamMrsG.......Thank you for the recipe.  I've been wanting to

make a Beef Stew . This sounds really good. 

Made my mouth water reading it    !!!

Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering ...Can I brown everything in a pan and then put in a Crock Pot.

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

I was wondering ...Can I brown everything in a pan and then put in a Crock Pot.

@MorningLover  I don't drink it, so am not sure what, if anything, the increased cooking time would do to the flavor of the beer.  If I were willing to take a chance, though, I'd adjust the cooking time to the lowest and shortest (6 hours?) crock pot settings.  Also, as I think about this, I would wait at least 'til mid-way through to add the mushrooms, otherwise they might break down to nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

IamMrsG...... I'll give it a try. I noticed some other recipes you posted. Thanks again !

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

IamMrsG...... I'll give it a try. I noticed some other recipes you posted. Thanks again !

@MorningLover  You're welcome!  After you try this in your crock pot, would you please come back and let me know your results, good or bad?  I have a habit of making notes at the bottom of my recipes -- listing any changes I made, what I thought of them or what I would do differently next time -- and would like to add your crock pot thoughts to my copy of this one.

I hope you enjoy any recipes I post, MorningLover.  For me, all aspects of food and drink are some of God's greatest blessings to man.  I mean, just think of the variety of textures, colors, aromas and flavors made available for us!  Good food, thoughtfully prepared and plated can be sensual. To me, not taking advantage of the opportunity or not sharing in the enjoyment would be an abuse of a magnificient gift.

Like many others on Recipes, I will not post a recipe I have not prepared myself, "tried 'n true" as we call it here, and do my best to carefully proofread a recipe before clicking onto "Post." (That is not to claim errors cannot slip through.)   Stay with us here on Recipe, and feel free to contribute recipes or ask questions any time. You'll be pleased by what a helpful resource this particular forum is.  

--Mrs.G