Frequent Contributor

Bone broth, vs stock , vs broth

[ Edited ]

PLEASE SEASONED AT HOME COOKS

I am sooo confused( doesn't take much) as to the differences between all three. I grew up on chicken or beef broth as my mother always made soup as the first course of Italian dinner each night, because that was how my fathers mother( Nonna) showed her how to cook Italian for her son. Mom isnt here any longer... what is the difference, and how are these receipes best made??  And let me put my apology out there for those that are sick and tired of this question being asked, you can move on without ridicule!! MJ

Respected Contributor

Re: Bone broth, vs stock , vs broth

[ Edited ]

Put the subject line in a google search and youll get great explanation.

https://www.campbells.com/swanson/broth-vs-stock-vs-bone-broth/#:~:text=Bone%20broth%20is%20a%20furt... 

Super Contributor

@MILKI I agree with @LizzieInSRQ . When I originally wanted to know that same question as I wanted to make bone broth for our dog, I searched and liked this site. It explains what they are and how to make each and for what occasions. I make chicken bone broth using my crockpot on low for about 20 hours, one or two chicken carcasses from baked or usually rotiserie, 3 Tbls apple cider vinegar, vegetables I discard. When we eat chicken, I freeze the carcass. When I get two, I make a large batch. It works well and my dog loves it! BTW - it's always great for us too! I don't use onion or garlic or anything the dog can't eat. Turkey bone broth is always a fave in our house after we enjoy our Thanksgiving Day turkey!

Just copy and paste: The Kitchen, Kelli Foster What's the difference between bone broth, stock and broth?

Honored Contributor

@OneHappyHiker @MILKI @LizzieInSRQ 

I am wanting to make my own bone broth or chicken broth. 
The reason I want to do this is because I'd like to by-pass all of the "added ingredients" in bouillon-type products.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@LTT1 100%!  I start mine after dinner and it simmers in the crockpot all night and morning. It's super easy! AND if you are not making it for an animal, you can put in all the spices and seasonings YOU like! Now I am ending up making two batches: one for our pup and one for us where I can load it with onions and garlic and veggies after it's simmered. The veggies taste fresh and we get the taste we love. For our pup, I use the veggies he can eat and then make sure it's all chopped for his size. 

Honored Contributor

@OneHappyHiker 

Thank you!

While shopping for soup, I was hoping to find plain ones without a lot of junky seasonings (like msg, etc) but after getting them home and trying them out, there is no such thing as canned soup without what I call "contaminating ingredients"!

Let's say I'm sick with a cold...I believe plain clean chicken broth would be very healthy. So, I'm ready to make my own!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 Honestly, you will be better off for it! I've tried so many I can't count anymore, and homemade hands down is the best! You can also load it up with any veggies or beans you love, use garlic and onions, green onions, bok choy, kale if you want, anything you love because you are making it for you! Make some rice or noodles ahead of time and add some to your bowl. I've done that too!

One tip: I cut the leafy parts off of any veggies I use and add them after the bones are strained out and after the veggies have been added back into the broth and cooked to how you like them. The leafy parts don't need anything more than being added to the hot broth. If you like an Asian flair, I add a splash or two to my bowl of dark sesame oil. Don't add it to the pot because the flavor will cook away. We do that occasionally. You can shake in some hot pepper flakes, anything you love. Also, when you start with a rotisserie chicken carcass, you have all the wonderful rotisserie flavors in your broth. Once you have made it a couple of times, it gets easier and easier and you find your own method. Enjoy! 

ETA: This freezes SO well! After it cools down enough to freeze, I scoop it out into the number of containers I will be using to freeze it in, making sure you leave some space for expansion. I then place a piece of plastic wrap right over the broth, leaving some sticking out from under the container's top, and that stops any frost development. Take it out as desired!

Respected Contributor

I would like to add one more contrast between these.  If you're a sodium watcher, then there is a big difference:  

Bone broth is lowest in sodium, while traditional stocks and broths, like chicken broth or stock, are usually highly salted One cup of chicken broth contains 570 mg of sodium, while the same amount of chicken bone broth has just 95 mg. Chicken stock is generally made with a higher proportion of bones and tends to have more body. Because stock is used as a base in recipes that call for extra seasoning, store-bought versions tend to have less sodium than broth.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for ALL of your comments and definitions. One thing that continues to confuse me is the interchangeability of the words . I will be watching a seasoned cook on YOU TUBE talk about Stock, and she strongly emphasizes we are making STOCK, but 5 minutes later she refers to it as a BROTH, and continues to call it broth to never really “correct” herself MJ
Valued Contributor

Maybe my taste but I did not like the taste of bone broth.