Valued Contributor

I think it's a function of how busy the deli is at the store.  Publix always has a good turnover, the other stores in my area, not so.

Trusted Contributor

i think it is the store.  they may not turnover as much as they would like.

also i never everbuy anything that is kroger brand it is a terrible brand.  they use the cheapest way to make it and then charge or i should say over charage for it.

Trusted Contributor

I wil only buy BH meat, even their pepperoni is delicious.  Excellent quality.  Have tried other brands and always come back to BH...the best.

I believe like other posters that maybe it's not busy enough in their deli dept.

I would certainly bring it back...and get a refund.  Also try a piece to make sure for the next time.

Esteemed Contributor

I've found people working in a food handling job sometimes don't know or follow safe food handling practices.

Could easily be the deli cold case isn't kept cold enough, stock isn't rotated, hand washing and glove changing isnt observed, new deliveries are left sitting out (unrefrigerated) for lengthy times, etc

These are some examples I've seen disregarded that could result in what you've posted.

While I can't observe the surface bacteria, I can observe or feel the change in the meat's surface.

I usually wash (yes wash!) any deli cold cuts to substantially reduce surface bactetia by just using friction from my hands and a forceful stream of cold running water. Blot dry.  

For deli chicken or other meats that will be heated, I take it apart and blast it in the NuWave oven.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Has anyone else had trouble with the deli meats spoiling before they eat it? I went to King Kullen on Thursday and bought Everroast Chicken, it was spoiled. I bought Teriyaki Chicken today at Foodtown, spoiled. They aren't getting past the smell test. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to buy any cold cuts.

I though that a possible explanation for two different stores having spoiled Boarshead at the same time could lie with the truck that delivered the meat to the stores. Maybe the temperature was not low enough in the truck. Take your meat back. Boarshead stands behind their products. Moreover, someone might get sick if you don’t step in and notify the stores. Sorry, I just realized that you were not the person mentioning Boarshead. The same reasoning about the truck’s temperature could still apply. The meats could have been on the same truck.

Honored Contributor

I do buy Boars Head on the rare occasions I buy any deli.  I do not buy any of the prepackaged offerings; instead I tell the clerk how many slices I want of what I'm buying.  My most common order would be 4 slices of whatever meat I've chosen and 8 slices of cheese which I use with the meat or melted onto a piece of toast or torn into a salad, etc.   It's been a long time snce any went bad in my refrig.

Honored Contributor

You can request a slice before you have your order prepared.

Also, I never buy unless I see they are slicing from a fairly full hunk (not sure what to call it).    If the employee pulls out a small hunk, the heel, I tell them no thanks.

Be sure you know what you are buying.    Some of the meats are real whole meat, some is processed

Are you buying pre-sliced?    Deli meat doesn't last long.

You don't say if it was spoiled at the time you got home.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

You can request a slice before you have your order prepared.

Also, I never buy unless I see they are slicing from a fairly full hunk (not sure what to call it).    If the employee pulls out a small hunk, the heel, I tell them no thanks.

Be sure you know what you are buying.    Some of the meats are real whole meat, some is processed

Are you buying pre-sliced?    Deli meat doesn't last long.

You don't say if it was spoiled at the time you got home.

I don't like buying cold cuts that are near the end ( I sometimes can't see over the counter being only 5'3"). I mostly go to King Kullen ( the woman who usually helps me is so unpleasant), she says she can't open a new package of meat unless it's less than a half pound. So I have to get what she has.

Honored Contributor

i buy boar's head lunch meats and they generally last about a week. i always have them slice it in front of me and i get them sliced extra thin (except for the london broil.) i do not buy the ones that they preslice and put in a case. i find them to be excellent quality.

my favorites are the bbq roasted chicken, the teriyaki chicken breast, the madrasala curry chicken breast, first cut corned beef, first cut pastrami, london broil roast beef, tavern ham, rosemary and sundried tomato ham, honey smoked turkey, ovengold roasted turkey breast, pastrami seasoned turkey breast, and genoa salami.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I've found people working in a food handling job sometimes don't know or follow safe food handling practices.

Could easily be the deli cold case isn't kept cold enough, stock isn't rotated, hand washing and glove changing isnt observed, new deliveries are left sitting out (unrefrigerated) for lengthy times, etc

These are some examples I've seen disregarded that could result in what you've posted.

While I can't observe the surface bacteria, I can observe or feel the change in the meat's surface.

I usually wash (yes wash!) any deli cold cuts to substantially reduce surface bactetia by just using friction from my hands and a forceful stream of cold running water. Blot dry.  

For deli chicken or other meats that will be heated, I take it apart and blast it in the NuWave oven.

this is a first for me......i have never heard of anyone washing their lunch meats?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein