Honored Contributor

Has anyone else had trouble with the deli meats spoiling before they eat it? I went to King Kullen on Thursday and bought Everroast Chicken, it was spoiled. I bought Teriyaki Chicken today at Foodtown, spoiled. They aren't getting past the smell test. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to buy any cold cuts.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe ppl buy the store brand rather than paying extra for the Boar's Head. The deli clerks should check the BH tho... Does it have as many preservatives as the other meat, I don't know the answer to that, but that could be a reason.

I'm LOADS of help, huh? Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

We cook our own chicken bfeasts and slice them for sandwiches. I would not want to buy the prepared stuff because, to your point, I don’t know where it’s been or what they’ve done to it. I bought some mesquite chicken in the deli a few years ago, and it was slimy. Yuk.

Respected Contributor

I don't hesitate to ask if I can try a piece of what ever meat I'm buying, and I always open bag and smell if before I walk away. I've had that happen when I boaght luncheon meat.I have never purchased Boar's Head.Don't wait until you get home with it, I have also got a refund. They usually just want you to bring just the bag back.

Respected Contributor

I would return those spoiled lunch meats for a refund.  Boar's Head products are expensive.  I buy mine at a local little market that is very busy.  They sell a lot and I have never had a spoiled product.  

Esteemed Contributor

I buy Boars Head at a local family grocery store known for their butcher shop.  Even restaurant owners load a basket full with fresh cut meats - it's a busy place constantly.  Now at Wegman's can't get BH - they call it the store brand - but sweet and delicious.  Huge traffic store so nothing sits in the deli very long.  I always ask for 'fresh cut' - not previously sliced before I got there.  

Honored Contributor

I eat BH Chicken often and get it at an Asian Market whihc is 2-3 dollars a pound cheaper than Acme and Stop and Shop

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I have never bought any deli meat other than Boar's Head and never had a problem.  I buy cold cuts at our local Stop and Shop where it seems like just about everybody buys only Boar's Head so they go through a ton of it and it is always fresh.  Every once in awhile I buy at a small local supermarket and although I have never had a problem with it being spoiled -- it sometimes does not taste as fresh as when I get it from S&S because they do not do the same kind of volume.

Respected Contributor

I don’t buy Boars Head at all.  It’s the worst on the market.  I don’t even Call it meat.  

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Has anyone else had trouble with the deli meats spoiling before they eat it? I went to King Kullen on Thursday and bought Everroast Chicken, it was spoiled. I bought Teriyaki Chicken today at Foodtown, spoiled. They aren't getting past the smell test. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to buy any cold cuts.

I only buy Boars Head Ham and Cajun Turkey because my husband likes to take his lunch and he usually wants the turkey. While I like the ham, it does spoil quickly if left in the original packaging within a week so I usually split and put half in the freezer. Because it cost so much per pound I try not to waste any of it by leaving in the fridge too long.