Occasional Contributor

Re: Where have the Plus sized models Gone?

Hi , I have started buying Issac Mizarahi a lot more ans buying his studf more , he uses plus size models a d I see how his fit is great . I wear a extra large in his clothes and 1x in slimmer cuts from other desig Factory and Denim and Company use plus size girls if you like their line? Dennis Basso and and Joan Rivers have nice larger line clothes too. Hopefully this may  you.

Occasional Contributor

Hi , I have started buying Issac Mizarahi a lot bexause of his comfort cut., he uses plus size models and his fit is great . I wear a extra large in his clothes and 1x in slimmer cuts from other designers. Quacker Factory and Denim and Company use plus size girls if you like their line? Dennis Basso and and Joan Rivers have nice larger line clothes too. Hopefully this may  you.l

Esteemed Contributor

Plus size refers to a 1X-3X size.  As far as I know at this time QVC does not have any models who wear these sizes.

Trusted Contributor

QVC uses vanity sizing, if a model is an extra large she would be 1x in brick and mortar stores. I think it has a lot to do with the designer/vendor who may not want their clothing presented in plus sizing. I have been a 1x and now I am an 8 in brick in mortar stores but a small at QVC. I would never be able to wear a small in brick and mortar stores at a size 8. Before I lost my weight I did look at Maria to judge how something might look on me but I am also a petite and the larger models are tall verses short. I think it is hard to please the masses and that QVC and HSN do a good job with different size/shape models.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Marketing to plus size women leaves much to be desired. In department stores to plus department is always hidden away somewhere. On air, the plus size model is always in the rear of the set. Never in front at the start of a presentationn. Plus isn't really plus either. The plus size models all have a small rear and relatively thin legs with a busty top. They do not reflect a range of plus size body types. They are all tall. There are no petite plus size models. I'm sure QVC does this because of stats they have on sales, so I can't blame them. I am grateful that QVC does not charge more for plus size garments than misses sizes.

My dear Mother would complain that the Plus Sizes were ALWAYS put next to the Maternity clothes..... e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e!!   Nothing wrong (at all!) being pregnant but the implication was insulting ......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

There are models who wear 1X.      This is not told unless it is asked.    I have heard a model say XL she thought but the designs looked at the label and corrected her.   I have heard from some Q people that they wear different sizes on top and bottom.   Angel graciously tells her actual size per piece and will suggest that we go up or down.  She said she has a long torso and 30 in inseam. Correct information helps me buy my size and reduce returns and costs.  Sizing is no longer dependable from some designers.  Size is just a number and we can cut off the tag it is bothering us.    Proper fit helps make an outfit look good on us all.   Stand up "tall" and walk with confidence.

Valued Contributor

My take on this is that the Q exists for one purpose alone and that is to make a lot of money. They are great at marketing.  They hire show hosts who they think will make them the most money. They use the models for one purpose, to sell us the clothes. TV adds at least 10 to 15 lbs. on the models from the get go. A woman can see a model wearing an item and think she will look somewhat like that when she wears it. If a short plus size model wears the same item and it doesn't look as good the Q thinks not many will buy it. It's only about money, that's all. Period. They don't care about us. They will never have a short model who is a size L because she looks much larger on the screen. Everything they do is to SELL.   Just my 2 cents. lol

Respected Contributor

For the same reason plus size clothing catalogs don't use models 1x and above, money. Woman Within and Romans, the top 2 catalogs, claimed sales went down when they used larger models. There are two websites that cater to extended plus sizes that use very large models, 3x and up, Making It Big and Love Your Peaches, but their clothes are made in the US, custom made, so they have no qualms about showing how things look in women 3x and up like myself.
Contributor

Maria used to be a 1x.....then she lost a little weight. 

Honored Contributor

I don't watch a lot of QVC on TV but it seems like whenever I watch Isaac or D&C that are plus size models on.  I never watch Susan Graver or Quacker Factory so do not know about those.