Super Contributor

I listen to the hosts, vendors and news people
Thinking about my Public Speaking class and the F, instantly I would have received if I used the words back in the 70's that are being used now.  I sit eating dinner sometimes cringe.  Just like the younger generation going out without any cash, not even a dime.  🤷🏻‍♀️  I am old.

Respected Contributor

And....?.  I hear that all the time and I use the same phrase.  I don't understand your point.

Esteemed Contributor

In a business that sells all over the U.S. and internationally, it's better to not use colloquialisms. 

I remember moving from the northeast to Oklahoma and hearing for the first time on the radio children being referred to as kiddos. As an example. 

Contributor

I'm basically from the south but after spending a couple of years in NJ I found myself saying "you guys".  It could be regional but either way it does not bother me at all.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

You don't get it |  THE POINT; YOU | image tagged in over your head | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Oh, there was a point?

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine spending this much time looking for things to annoy myself.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 ........I've not read all the replies to your post, however, IMHO it's just "lazy" talk.  Matches her clothes that always look terrible on her. Cat Wink

Valued Contributor

Lately I've been hearing both men and women address each other as "Dude".  That sounds strange to me, but what the heck.  

Honored Contributor

Even the PBS Children's Show used this term for both gus and gals

images.jpeg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Re: Hey You Guys …..

[ Edited ]

She grew up in Ohio, perhaps its just a phrase, the way I use "you all."    (see below):

The phrase "Yinz" originates from this form, also used in the Ohio River Valley around Pittsburgh. It's a shortening of "you ones," a usage that goes as far back as 'Chaucer 4'. 

In the parts of the U.S. where they don't use "y'all," they use "you guys" instead, as shown on the map below.  (revised post to include the map):

You All Map.png