Respected Contributor

Are dogs the same in intelligence based on gender?

There is  quite a discussion about  intelligence between men and women  on a recent thread and a couple of posts related to  intelligence for dogs and cats based on gender.

I began to think of the differences in female and male dogs.They all seemed to learn commands equally well although my females seem more interested in pleasing me and therefore  may have appeared to learn faster. I have had two females and three males. 

Right now I have a male rescue who has never ever growled. Easy going. He could figure out how to unhook his tie out  twist out of collars or open  doors or gates to run for hours and not be one bit sorry ,even in a Police Car.  Older now so quit running. My female rescue gives me an attitude when she doesnt want to do something , growls at the male over treats and more verbal. She  also looks sorry ,ashamed, and apologetic when scolded. She likes her space but my male likes to cuddle more often.

I dated a man who insisted his cat was a genius? What are your experiences in your pets and intelligence regarding male and female dogs?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are dogs the same in intelligence based on gender?

While I don't have extensive experience, I think it's more about the different breeds rather than gender when it comes to intelligence.  

Respected Contributor

I can't really speak to gender differences in dogs as I have only had female dogs.  However, I can say that as a teenager, we had a female shepherd/hound mix who was crazy intelligent!  She had an extraordinary ability to listen to human conversation and "know" what was being said.  To the extend, that we would spell or act things out!  She was a riot to be around - she really kept us on our toes!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my very long life  have had every breed  there is and I believe the  Maltese Breed is the smartest ! I don't think  gender has anything to do with it.

Among many other things,

Cozi actually knew who it was that was calling me when the phone rang (I have specfic rings,for specfic people and he would come and get me if I didn't hear the phone ringing.He would also howl (lol,sounded so funny) if I was in the shower when the phone rang.......lol.

Respected Contributor

I think it's way more breed than gender. My Silky Terrier little fellas are the smartest breed I've ever seen and I have had all kinds/breeds of dogs in my long life....big, small, smart, slow etc and these Silky guys are so smart it's scary. Smarter than me but then that's not saying much.

Honored Contributor

I won't judge any living creature on gender or race. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think there's a difference in intelligence, but I do think there is a difference in personality.  I think both male & femaile dogs are awesome in every way.  However, in my experience (mainly with Labs and German Shepherds), I find female dogs to be more obedient and independent.  Whereas male dogs tend to go rogue more, are a bit goofier and can be a little needy for attention. I love them all!    

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen a difference in intelligence in my dogs, so I'm more inclined to think the difference is in breeds and personalities.

Not all dogs of one breed are of equal intelligence.  Just like people.  

I had males and females with laid back personalities as well as those that were very outgoing. 

Those that were outgoing at first appeared to be more intelligent because they liked to show off.  Those that were laid back demonstated their intelligence in other ways.

Esteemed Contributor

Trainers will tell you that females learn faster when young because they mature faster than males .  At some point it all evens out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I have only had female dogs, 4 total so far.  They sure do all have different personalities.  Love my dogs !!!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead