Valued Contributor

Re: Are dogs the same in intelligence based on gender?

@MalteseMomma I have had Basset Hounds, Old English Sheepdogs, Mutts, and for the last 25 years, Maltese only. I totally agree with you about the high intelligence level of this breed. My females were smarter and snarkier than my males, and the males are way more affectionate. My little male now is the most affectionate we have ever had, of any breed. He is all about Love, and wants constant petting. He constantly wants to give kisses, and of course we love it! 

Respected Contributor

I am not sure about the intelligence thing.  I have had dogs that use intelligence in different ways.  Some for good and some for bad.  As for gender I do think males are more affectionate.  Females are affectionate when they are in the mood to be.  Right now I have a male pomeranian, female chihuahua and a  male Peek a poo.  I really could not say who is smarter.  Their personalities are so different.  

Honored Contributor

The smartest dog I ever had was a male German Shepherd. He knew over a hundred words. You could tell him to bring you a specific toy and he'd go to his toy box and bring the right toy. You could tell him to "Take your yellow duckie to Mom." And he'd go and find his yellow duckie and drop it at Mom's feet. Shepherds are just smart dogs though. The dumbest was a female Golden Retriever. Goldens, from what I've been told, fall into either genius, or blond bimbo categories. Mine was definitely in the blond bimbo category. She was very sweet and lovable, but not very bright. We had them one after the other too, the Shepherd first then the Golden, so the contrast was really apparent. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!