Respected Contributor

Re: What to do about "supposed friend?"

@Bubby Mommy how did you decide to handle it?  Do nothing, or give her back the ingredients, or ???

Frequent Contributor

I have done nothing with the items as of yet.  I plan to bring them to the local food pantry where they can be given to someone in need.  If she doesn't like it, too bad.  If she calls, and I'm sure she will, I'll tell her I am not baking anymore.  She will probably be angry, but that's fine.  "Friendship" ended.  I don't feel any need to explain to her or hash out any differences; I'm just not interested in her or her family.  She can "leech" on someone else. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can tell her you'll teach her how to make pies this year so she can make them in the future.  

Or just tell her you're not able to make them for her.

No one takes advantage of you unless you let them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bubby Mommy wrote:

I have done nothing with the items as of yet.  I plan to bring them to the local food pantry where they can be given to someone in need.  If she doesn't like it, too bad.  If she calls, and I'm sure she will, I'll tell her I am not baking anymore.  She will probably be angry, but that's fine.  "Friendship" ended.  I don't feel any need to explain to her or hash out any differences; I'm just not interested in her or her family.  She can "leech" on someone else. 

I think you came up with a resolution. @Bubby Mommy  That is what this board is for, when you ask for advice. You got both ends of the spectrum. Some harsh, and others kind. Take what you want and come up with your own plan. That is what you did. Good for you!!

Honored Contributor

@Bubby Mommy wrote:

If that's what you are comfortable with, that's fine.  You haven't dealt with the problem.  Mentally in your mind, the relationship is over but she doesn't know that. She doesn't have mind reading abilities so all she knows is you accepted her pie ingredients and her child's gift and they didn't get the pie.  You haven't ended anything with her because she most certainly is going to come asking for that pie she feels you owe her.  And honestly, she wouldn't be wrong.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, she has a lot of nerve.  I would return the apples and other things to her and apologize, saying I don't have time at the moment and furthermore don't really enjoy baking on demand.  Then just cut ties wth her, quietly. Some people just don't get it and she seems to be one of them.

Frequent Contributor

If that's what you are comfortable with, that's fine.  You haven't dealt with the problem.  Mentally in your mind, the relationship is over but she doesn't know that. She doesn't have mind reading abilities so all she knows is you accepted her pie ingredients and her child's gift and they didn't get the pie.  You haven't ended anything with her because she most certainly is going to come asking for that pie she feels you owe her.  And honestly, she wouldn't be wrong.  

I know that you would probably like me to confront her and hash this nonsense out.  I don't want to, nor do I feel it would resolve anything.  If she is stupid enough to believe that I "owe" her a pie, that's her problem.  She can sue me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunate she took you by surprise with the apples & sack of flour. I would have said " oh good you brought supplies so that I can teach you how to make an apple pie ."

She really put you on the spot with her 8 yr old daughter and gift .

Respected Contributor

Nice practical, lightweight response.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Unfortunate she took you by surprise with the apples & sack of flour. I would have said " oh good you brought supplies so that I can teach you how to make an apple pie ."

She really put you on the spot with her 8 yr old daughter and gift .

Yes, indeed.  The child and the gift was a calculated to insure that the op wouldn’t decline.  I don't know what the op will do when that woman demands the pie that she paid for with those ingredients.  I suspect there will be an ugly confrontation.