Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for a Happy New Year 2019- Wheeeee!!

[ Edited ]

Tonight will be bucatini with marinara sauce and Italian sweet sausage chunks and onions, DH loves pasta, and a salad.

I found a recipe in a slow cooker book I have had for some time, today, for beef chili, used the rest of the sirloin steak, with black beans, etc., and topped with a pepper jack, any cheese one likes is fine, cheese sauce and French fries, making it for the latter two, lol.

Last night was one of our standby meals, grilled butterflied boneless, skinless chicken breasts with melted cheese, this time on English muffins as that was the only bread we had, with some raw onion slices and mayo, yummy.

Still waiting for that rain we were promised, just gray days so far.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone.cloudy and in the 30s today. yestauday ria made cut up boneless chicken with pasta sun dried tomatos and grated cheese. very good and today she made pulled pork in the crock pot to put over nachos with corn, beans,cheddar cheese and creamy cheese from a jar. cant think of its name. and lettuce and tomato. allso very good, this weekend i made strawberry ice cream in my christmas gift kitchen aid ice cream maker atachment. super really good. hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1    Your food always sounds so good. It is bitter cold here,might get some freezing rain late tonight.Just soup for dinner tonight as  went out to lunch today and that means not usually real hungry at dinner.

Honored Contributor

The slow cooker chili last night was good.  I had browned the meat and onions the day before, then added the chorizo, garlic, black beans, toward the end, spices, and tomatoes to the pot yesterday.

I wasn't thrilled with the cheese sauce, but it did tone down the chili, and the French fries were great, as usual, but I had just made them on Sunday, and find that if I make them too soon after having eaten them, they are not as thrilling as if I havn't eaten them for a while.  I will tweak the cheese sauce next time, but when serving the leftover chili, I will revert to the regular way, cheese, onions, chopped tomatoes, and maybe sour cream on top.

Tonight, who knows, might be a jelly roll pan pizza, the long shallow pan, as I have thawed bread dough, not as great as homemade pizza dough, but DH will love it, he isn't too particular, just doesn't like spicy heat.

I found a recipe for cabbage soup, very easy and not a lot of ingredients, supposed to help with losing weight, not high in calories, and no fat, so asked DH to add a cabbage to the list last night.  I have never seen such a small cabbage, LOL, so will have him get another the next time he goes to the market.

Raining today, but not hard, and I hope the big storm will pass us by, as it will be very windy, have I mentioned that I HATE wind, lol.

I am going to be in the living room untangling lights and packing, but the tree is still up so will have that lit, and have some old film noir movies I have on dvd to watch, love black and white movies on a rainy day.  Just now heard thunder, holy moly, maybe the storm is on it's way, hiss boo.

Respected Contributor

Since tomorrow is trash/garbage pickup day, we worked on cleaning out the Fridge - that always works and the various leftovers work super well. Only a couple leftovers in there - that will probably be gone before the stuff is picked up tomorrow morning - am thinking of Davey. LOL

COLD and very wet and windy here. Enough is enough. Am hoping it is closing out - the experts say it will continue through Friday and that will be that. Hope they are right.

Got the bird feeders filled in time the feathered ones had a good chance to get some nutrition before they went and settled in their "homes." They were swarming everywhere and disappeared as fast as they came. Birds always amaze me.

Have a good day tomorrow everyone.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. and thank you hellie. maria gets alot of her recipes from pintrest and from cookbooks we have. i dont mind buying her cookbooks because she uses them all the time and she makes alot of great meals.shes very organized and as of now she knows what shes cooking from now until the middle of july.plus she has alot of other recipes written down that she wants to give a try.yestauday and today we had leftovers.it was very cold down here and exspecting a little snow tonight so anna and i went grocery shopping today instead of tomorrow and we went and bought 3 . 40 pound bags of concrete safe ice melt as we may be getting a big snow and some rain on sunday. hope everyone had a great week.

Honored Contributor

Our supper tonight consisted of baked chicken wings, fried potatoes, and wilted lettuce salad.   

Everyone experiencing cold, bad weather, stay warm and safe!

Respected Contributor

Hi guys! It sure is cold here.Might get some snow in the next couple of days.Had hamburgers on the grill and tater tots.Red Top how is your husband doing?Have a good rest of the week everyone.

Respected Contributor

Had one of those 16" pizza's from Aldi's - got the supreme one with all the goodies on it. They are so very good and very inexpensive - normally run about $7 - gotta admit you cannot find one of those big pizzas in a pizza parlor for that. This week they will be $4.77 - OK, will go back in a couple days and perhaps buy two more and stick in the freezer - somehow will find room for them. LOL.

Sill freezing cold and we are washing away.

Hope all had a very good day!

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo,

My husband is doing fairly well; pressure ulcer is big, there’s a lot of healing yet to do, and that will take time.   He has finally figured out he has to stay off the foot to help it heal, which essentially means he’s homebound, and he is absolutely not used to spending this much time at home!   His family and friends check on him often, and that helps, but he’s dealing with, and adjusting to a lot right now.   

I love staying home, so I’m staying right here with him.   A big advantage to my stocking this house well to avoid shopping in flu season, is not needing to worry about going out for more than bread or milk, which I pick up when he has an appt at the VA, and we’re already out.   

Thank you for asking about him!