Honored Contributor

Re: What is your most vivid memory of your childhood kitchen?

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

And as we have written our fond memories- I can only think that today's KIDS will be eating take-out- or going out and few will have the joy of sharing meals with parents and grandparents- because they are too busy NOT living life. My grandkids won't know how lucky they are- that their Mom- and Me- still know HOW to cook and bake.Will their kids?

You would think this to be true, but I have some encouraging observations.  I teach 7th grade. My students range in age from 11-13 years old.  So many of them love to cook and bake. They talk about it all the time. I think it's due to the popularity of the cooking shows on TV, the kids' versions in particular.  Even more encouraging is that many of them are boys. The boys have no qualms talking about it and sharing stories.  We also have an excellent culinary arts program at my school and it's one of the most popular electives offered.  Once a month, the students put together a menu, cook it up,  and the teachers can pay $5 to have a yummy lunch delivered to their classroom by the students.  As long as people have to eat, there will be those of us who love to cook.  I think you can rest easy about that!

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Many memories from 3 kitchens.

In the home I grew up in, we had a large kitchen with an eating area. My mom was a GREAT cook. We always had high-quality food for dinner - meat and chicken from a local butcher shop and fresh seafood from a local fish market. NO canned meat and NO casseroles. Vegetables were always fresh - nothing from a can. On special occassions, a chef, who was a friend of the family from a 5 star restaurant in NYC, would come over and make dinner for us. His specialties were Chicken Cacciatore, Bordelaise sauce, and Bolognese sauce.

My grandmother, who was from Italy, had a tiny kitchen. I LOVED watching her prepare homemade pasta. Her tortellini and lasagna was the BEST. She also made a fabulous Marinara sauce.

We had a summer home on a bay in Long Island. I remember having GREAT meals, mostly seafood and fresh vegetables from local farms. We would have many clambakes throughout the summer - lobster, clams, fresh corn, etc. with all of our neighbors.

Honored Contributor

@sipp wrote:

And as we have written our fond memories- I can only think that today's KIDS will be eating take-out- or going out and few will have the joy of sharing meals with parents and grandparents- because they are too busy NOT living life. My grandkids won't know how lucky they are- that their Mom- and Me- still know HOW to cook and bake.Will their kids?

@sipp.  Are these kids that you know? Because I don’t see this at all. Nephews and niece in my family have normal meals as do the kids of my friends. I don’t know anyone who lives as you describe. 

Trusted Contributor

When I was just a kid maybe 5th grade, my younger sister, brother and myself had to get ready for school alone because our mom and dad had to leave for work about a half hour before we went up to the bus stop.  We had this crazy old toaster that I swear emitted electric current beams just looking at it.  Our toast would always inevitably get stuck in the toaster and we would stick a knife in the toaster to get the toast out without unplugging the toaster first, I was apparently not the sharpest cook !!! it took about half a dozen zaps from the toaster before I figured out to unplug it first.  I sometimes think about that and just shake my head and wonder  how I made it to age 64 doing crazy childhood stunts.

Trusted Contributor

waiting for the fry bread to be done.  my grandmotherr lived in a house that had a coal stove until about 1970.  she would bake bred in it.  how i don't know, but shealways gotit rigjht.