Super Contributor

Re: What is going on with limes?

Even quacks consider "Natural News" a quack website. Lol

NaturalNews.com (formerly Newstarget) is an anti-science conspiracy website founded by Mike "the Health Ranger" Adams. The site promotes almost every sort of medical woo known to human history, though it specializes in vaccine denialism,[1] AIDS/HIV denial,[2] quack cancer medicine[3] and conspiracy theories about modern medicine.[4] Even otherquacks think it's a quack site.[5] The site has recently broadened to includeextreme environmentalism and conspiracy theorizing about (the president) and gun control.

If you cite NaturalNews on any matter whatsoever, you are almost certainly wrong."

Super Contributor

""Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites (cited research references backing up this list): The winner as number 1 worst? NaturalNews.com.""

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4283

Honored Contributor

69 cents each the other day at the fresh market.....bought 10 of them the other day. we use a lot of limes.

as it gets closer to november, my s/o has a lime tree that produces A LOT of great juicy limes. i get those and hoard them. they get squeezed and kept in bottles in the refrigerator and some of juice gets frozen. when i am not there he sends them to me in one of the flat rate boxes via usps.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

""the shortage is expected to be short lived."" from Medical Daily Good harvest in May

Honored Contributor

I live in California in the Santa Clara Valley, which used to produce most of the worlds fruit. Most of the farms and ranches have been sold off. If you ask the landowners, the reason is, their kids don't want to farm anymore. With price of land, and developers chomping at the bit to build, the land has been sold for homes. I live in a City that produced most of the garlic in the country. I know the landowners. They said they worked to send their kids to college (babyboomers), the kids got jobs outside farming. Much of the land here held in family trusts, and by surviving family since late 1800's. It is just being parceled and sold for outlets and homes. You can hardly find strawberry farms anymore. Homes run in the mid 600,000 and up (average 825,000). You can get 7.5 regular lot homes on an acre. You can get 11 townhomes to an acre. After the agricultural parents die, they hang on for a while. They lease the land out, but the taxes are high. They get tired of it since they often have moved out of town, and cave and sell. The cities make more money from taxes on the homes than they do non working farms and ranches. This is just one side of the coin. JMHO. But many are changing the way they have always farmed. In a town near us once known for it's apples, they have cut almost all the apple trees down, as they aged. They have the replaced the apple trees with berries, like blackberry, raspberry and ollie berry. They had huge apple juice plants, like Motts, Mann's and such. Just a couple apple farms left there. Some opened organic farms on the old apple orchards and are trying new products like kale and chards, that is more dependable and easier to grow

The pioneer Woman said she was using regular limes in her key lime dessert, because she couldn't find key limes anywhere. Then someone mentioned a business in Florida that sells Key lime pie frozen, has to use a mixture of regular and Key Limes, as they cannot get enough of the real product

Honored Contributor

for anyone looking for some GOOD key lime juice to replace key limes, you may want to try a bottle of NELLIE AND JOE's key west lime juice. i have used it before in drinks and in recipes and it is excellent.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Here is some information from one of our local news reports yesterday (April 30, 2014) that should answer your question and offers some hope with regards to supply and price.

"A lot of this is from the weather back in January and February when the storms blew the blossoms off of the lime plants in Mexico where the majority of the limes we get come from," says Chris Mills. But now there are a lot of other unexpected countries contributing limes like Ecuador so it's easing the crunch and we expect the prices to come down pretty close to normal by the end of May." Not quite in time for Cinco de Mayo but in time for summer.

Makes me miss our 9 dwarf citrus trees that we had in our backyard (meyer, eureka & pink lemonade lemons they looked like a verigated watermelon on the outside and were pink inside, all three had just the right balance of sweet/tart and could be eaten right off the tree/Bearss and a tiny lime that was originally mislabled so no idea on what kind/Huge ruby red grapefruit/washington navel orange and dancy tangerine). I did discover that you can not only freeze the juice, but also the zest, so whenever you can find a good deal on any citrus fruit, zest it and then juice it and put it in the freezer. I use ice cube trays each cube is roughly 2 tablespoons.

tkins

Super Contributor

On 4/27/2014 shoekitty said:

I live in California in the Santa Clara Valley, which used to produce most of the worlds fruit. Most of the farms and ranches have been sold off. If you ask the landowners, the reason is, their kids don't want to farm anymore. With price of land, and developers chomping at the bit to build, the land has been sold for homes. I live in a City that produced most of the garlic in the country. I know the landowners. They said they worked to send their kids to college (babyboomers), the kids got jobs outside farming. Much of the land here held in family trusts, and by surviving family since late 1800's. It is just being parceled and sold for outlets and homes. You can hardly find strawberry farms anymore.

RE Strawberries, there are lots of farms in Watsonville, Castroville, Salinas.

Lime shortage: http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_25660246/high-lime-prices-giving-us-bartenders-hangover

Trusted Contributor

The increase in lime prices is linked to Mexican drug cartels

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/25/mexican-drug-cartel-lime-prices_n_5025873.html

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

On 4/26/2014 skuggles said:

""the shortage is expected to be short lived."" from Medical Daily Good harvest in May

Thank goodness. I have been going through margarita withdraw as I can't bring myself to spend 1.99 for a single lime.