Respected Contributor

Do you remember the first kitchen counter appliance you had to have??

Back in 1978, I saved up and got my first mircowave. I wanted the best, that would last me a long time. I got an Amana Radarrange Micowave. It cost me over $500.00 at that time. It lasted about 13 years, before I got another one. Boy, how the prices have changed on microwaves!!!!

I didn't have any livingroom furniture, but I had a microwave. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remember the first kitchen counter appliance you had to have??

I bought my Amana around that time, too! Yup, it was a major, big-time purchase.

I think before the microwave, I bought an Oster Kitchen Center - still have it & it works!!

Denise
Honored Contributor

I beat you both. I had my first microwave in 1972. It had heating wires in the top that were supposed to brown the meat or whatever. Of course all they did was collect grease and smell to high heaven. So I never really enjoyed my microwave until years later when we bought one without the wires.

Super Contributor

We got our first microwave in 1984 when my son was born. I don't remember wanting it very much. I never was a big fan of it.

I do remember lusting after a friends Cuisinart food processor. My husband's extended family had a Christmas gift draw and the most generous aunt of the bunch got my name! Score! I got my Cuisinart in 1989 and it's been going strong every since. I just used it to make soup an hour ago.

Respected Contributor

Not a microwave - my first was a stand mixer by Sunbeam. Back in the mid 1950's. It has served me very well, and today is still working well - a daughter has it. She also has a KitchenAid, but prefers the Sunbeam. I agree with her that that mixer makes smoother mashed potatoes than my expensive KA mixer, which leaves small lumps no matter what I do.

Honored Contributor

electric can opener

Frequent Contributor

In 1982 I had quit work to stay home with my baby, and I lusted for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I knew my husband would not want me to spend that much for a mixer, but I found one at Service Merchandise and put it in the lay-a-way. I was sooo happy to get it home, and my husband never asked how much it cost. I still have it, and it still works great. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} This is when they were still made in the USA.

Respected Contributor

PocoLoco, Service Merchandise is where I got my first KA Mixer. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Way before QVC was here. It cost me about $119.00 back in 1979.

Honored Contributor

My dad came home with an Amana microwave in the 1960s. My mother and I had NO idea what it was. He boiled a cup of water and my mother said "I'm not giving up counter space for THAT!" He said no, it could cook and thaw things and we could go take a class. . . so we were off and running.

In 1976 probably I HAD to have a food processor. I found one on sale and had some Christmas money and it was MINE. It was one of the first Cuisinarts and ran like a top for almost 30 years (I gave it go my mom and upgraded to a bigger one). I think it was on sale because nobody knew what the heck it was! Julia Child I think had one and that's where I saw it! I didn't get a stand mixer until 1992. That was the same year hubby bought a bread machine.

Super Contributor

Coffee maker. Probably a Mr. Coffee.

After that, was probably a toaster.

Breakfast, anyone? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}