Super Contributor

Re: What is going on with limes?

On 5/1/2014 ninjawife said:
On 4/26/2014 skuggles said:

"the shortage is expected to be short lived." from Medical Daily Good harvest in May

Thank goodness. I have been going through margarita withdraw as I can't bring myself to spend 1.99 for a single lime.

Margaritas are my favorite too, like mine blended with salt. If I make my own, I usually use frozen lime concentrate, tequila, some mexican lime chili seasoning (sometimes called fruit seasoning) ice and a pinch of margarita salt. But one of my new favorite discoveries, is Mike's Classic Margarita Frozen (from the company that make Mike's Hard Lemonade) it has the alcohol in it, I defrost it some, squeeze it into a glass, sprinkle in some margarita salt and enjoy (the bottled Mike's Classic Margarita is also good, I like to put that in my slush mug). Happy Cinco de Mayo

tkins

Super Contributor

First the Velveeta cheese shortage, now limes???? What is the world coming to? Can't have queso dip and margaritas without the essentials!!! From news reports I have heard, they attribute the shortage and higher cost to the drought conditions, including avocados. I remember when just a couple months ago limes were 3/$1.00 and avocados were $1 each. Like all things, I'm sure the prices will gradually adjust down.

Honored Contributor

I used to buy a 2 lb. mesh bag of small key limes for $1.99, regular price. I believe they were from Mexico. Such a unique and delicious flavor. Well, let's hope for the best and a quick return of inexpensive limes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Many farming folks want their kids to go away to college so they won't have to toil in the hot sun, farming, etc. Lots of hard work, farming. I just happened to think of that. We can't totally blame the kids for not wanting to carry on in the family farming business. Sometimes it's the folks who want 'different' or 'better' lives for their adult children.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).