Esteemed Contributor

Re: What goodies did you enjoy on Christmas?

We had prime rib...mash potatoes...green beans...sweet carrots...rolls...

dessert was Junior Cheesecake...homemade pumpkin pie....French Vanilla ice cream and several different kinds of homemade cookies...

Super Contributor

vickisok, my husband and I have been wanting to make beef Wellington. Can you please share your recipe with us? All of you ladies had great meals on Christmas.
Esteemed Contributor

I was in charge of dips. I took Crack Dip, Key Lime Dip & green onion dips with a variety of chips, crackers & pretzels.

For dinner we had spiral cut ham, whipped sweet potato bake with marshmellos, spoon cornbread, cranberry sauce.

For dessert mandarin orange cake.

Honored Contributor

The plan was to cook turkey and do a duplicate thanksgiving, but I made lasagna and salad instead. Had gourmet cupcakes for dessert. A friend had a dinner party on Christmas eve and served turkey, so I changed my menu. I knew this week's ago, so I had plenty of time. Turned out well and there's enough leftovers for today. I'll cook my turkey on new years eve instead.
Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Sunshine said: vickisok, my husband and I have been wanting to make beef Wellington. Can you please share your recipe with us? All of you ladies had great meals on Christmas.

Sunshine I'm happy to share the recipe I've used over and over.

Traditional Beef Wellington is made with a large tenderloin roast and wrapped with the Puff Pastry, however, I prefer to make individual Wellingtons so that I can cook to desired doneness for each person. Also the classic Wellington is spread with some duck liver pate (foie gras), but I do not use the pate even though I do like it with it, but my husband does not. So, having said all of that, lol, here is my recipe. I hope you like it.

Frozen Puff Pastry-thawed for about 40 minutes

2 TBS. Canola Oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

6-6 oz. tenderloin filets

1 med. onion chopped finely

1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms

1 cup beef consommé

1-3oz. jar liver pate-if using

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the filets with salt and pepper, then fry on each side until browned to lock in the juices. For anyone wanting their steak more done, just brown longer. Remove from the skillet and set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Add the mushrooms, onion, wine and beef consomme to the skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl, reserving the consomme. Mix the pate with the mushrooms, adding a little consomme if needed to achieve a spreadable texture. Divide the mushrooms among the filets and spread on the top. Refrigerate about 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the puff pastry out on a clean surface and cut out two 5 to 6 inch rounds for each steak. You can roll it out a little thinner if you need more area. Place a steak onto a round, and bring the edges up around the sides. Cover the top with a second piece of dough, overlapping the edges and pressing to seal into a package. Repeat with remaining steaks. Place the Wellingtons onto a baking sheet, and brush the tops with beaten egg.
  4. Bake for about 12 minutes, for rare, 16 minutes for medium, or 20 minutes for well done. For best results use a meat thermometer to determine the temperature of the steaks, with 155 degrees F being medium doneness. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.

Hope this turns out good for you. It's always worked well for me. Follow thawing instructions on puff pastry box. I always use Pepperidge Farms puff pastry found in the frozen foods aisle.

Enjoy!

VickiSmile

Super Contributor

Thanks vickisok. We can't wait to make it. ??
Honored Contributor

Too many to list but my favorite was the spiral ham my son made from BJ's delicious!!!
Super Contributor

Last weekend, DH & I and prepared "Sausage Bread", a New England recipe that we've had for over 30 years thanks to my younger brother's girlfriend (at the time) and her Family for passing it along . {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} It's similar to a Stromboli and we bake many for us, and our neighbors, the weekend before Christmas. I wrap them and freeze them - we have ours every Christmas Eve for dinner along with a salad, or eggs the way we like them... (the neighbors scarf them down when I deliver them, the day after we make them). {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

On Christmas Eve Day, DH & I made a Cheesecake from my Mom's *Good Housekeeping Cookbook* (1963) that she gave me shortly after my wedding (over 40 years ago). We spent about 6 hours working to make that Cheesecake, along with the various steps involved, plus it had to cool and chill for 24 hours, but it was a glorious treat to eat for desert on Christmas ! We had a first cut Beef Rib Roast (2 bones) for dinner on Christmas along with mashed potatoes & gravy, carrots, and split top rolls along with Cabernet Wine. (I avoided the potatoes & gravy as they are not "friendly foods" for me). DH and DS loved their dinner, I did too. I finished the leftover beef (1 slice) yesterday, for lunch, and we polished off the Cheesecake by tonight. Smile It was listed as 12 servings in the recipe ( I ate 3 of them -- since it was so filling, I cut much smaller slices for myself) but DH & DS seemed to have a "cheesecake eating contest" between them for the past 2 days...{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I've not gained any weight during the Holidays so my exercising restraint with The Cake may have a beneficial payoff! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}