Respected Contributor

Dec 27 Today is NATIONAL FRUITCAKE DAY

This is one of the most unusual recipes I have ever made. My friend Debbie, let me try it and I had to have the recipe. I didn't even like fruitcake, and this is the only one I will make or eat.

Stirring Fruitcake Recipe

1 pound of butter

2 cups sugar

6 large eggs

4 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.

1 pound of candied cherries, rough chopped (red or green or some of both)

1 pound of candied pineapple, rough chopped

12 oz box of raisins or 2 cups

6 cups of chopped pecans

1/2 c orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and orange marmalade. In another BIG bowl add the flour, spices, fruit and nuts. Stir to coat. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture, mix well. Place the batter in the biggest roasting pan you have. My pan was 13x18.5x2 inches. Now for the fun part. Bake for 15 minutes, then take out and stir it up real good. Bake another 15 minutes, then take out and stir it up real good. Bake another 15 minutes, then take out and stir it up real good. Bake for the 15 minutes, then take out and stir it up real good for the last time. Take the cooked mixture and pack in a greased tube pan. I used my potato masher to pack it in the pan. Let it set on the counter overnight.

My Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt mixer wouldn't hold all the batter, I mixed what I could, then just mixed the rest of the flour, fruit,and nuts by hand with a spoon in the roasting pan. The cake weighed 8 lbs. 9oz. Enjoy!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dec 27 Today is NATIONAL FRUITCAKE DAY

I know I seem to be one of the few, but I do enjoy a dark batter, homemade fruitcake that is loaded with fruit.

Super Contributor

This looks good. My DD makes delicious fruitcakes. She puts brandy on them for a couple of days, wraps them in parchment paper and foil and then delivers them to family and friends. Everyone loves her fruitcakes! The only problem--the cakes are too small. We can never understand why comedians make jokes about fruitcake. Apparently, they haven't eaten a good one.

Honored Contributor

Mine haven't fermented long enough yet........I have a taste or two every day, but always have to add more booze to the can..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

National 'door stop' day? Ha. This reminds me of a running joke in my family with siblings. A gift from my dad each year was personal fruitcakes, dry and shaped like a rectangle. Always the same brand from a local grocery store. We laughed and said --- another doorstop! I will admit, since I tasted good fruitcake, I realize it was just my dad's personal preference that started the joke. Enjoy your fruitcake, ladies. It sounds yummy.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

This looks a lot like my mother's fruitcake, which was delicious. She made it in October, and then marinated it with rum or brandy every week or ten days until Christmas. It was not for the faint of heart. Or minors.

These days, though, I don't like so much sweetness. Does anyone have a recipe that uses dried but not candied fruit, lots of nuts, and a minimum of flour?

Super Contributor

I'm laughing so hard! Today is my birthday; this explains a lot.

Respected Contributor

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Honored Contributor

I have already saved your recipe! Thank you so much for posting it. I DO love fruitcakes, but not just any fruitcake. It has to be loaded with fruit and nuts. My mother made a wonderful fruitcake (unfortunately I've lost the recipe)... and the holidays just aren't the same without it. I have found a couple of fruitcakes sold that are actually very, very good and one of them used to be sold by Wal-Mart. I've found it at King Soopers this year and was thrilled AND one from Grandma's (which was also good, but expensive).

Yeah.... don't give me a dark cake with a few nuts and an occasional piece of fruit and call it a fruitcake.... I want the real deal.... lol! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Again, THANKS~!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*