Honored Contributor

Prime rib is on the menu for lunch tomorrow.....the rib is boneless and I don't have a roasting rack....do I need one to bake properly?

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I think it is important to elevate the roast.  I am sure you will get some more answers, but here are a few suggestions that might work in a pinch.

Cut up some potatoes and onions into large chunks and put in botton of pan and add some rosemarie and thyme sprigs on top.  then put roast on top.

Crumble up a bunch of heavy duty tinfoil at the bottom so the fat can drain off.

If you have some smaller racks that you use to cool cakes on, that would work.

If you have a pressure cooker, that should have come with a round rack which might work.

Good luck with your roast and I will show up to sample it.

Honored Contributor

A steamer insert will work too, to elevate the roast.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

You can use scewers to keep the roast from fallling over  (rest the ends of the scewers on the sides of the pan)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I regularly use a bed of celery stalks and onions to raise my roasting chickens above the fat run-ff and I'd do the same with a rib roast.

I use fresh clery and onions or old and wilted -  doesn't matter because I toss the fat-soaked veggies at the end.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM...thanks for the advice and there is always room at the table for one more!

Respected Contributor

I have NEVER elevated a prime rib roast.  It will be just fine in the bottom of a stainless steel roasting pan.

Kosher salt and some pepper and you are good to go.  I don't fool around with the 500 deg method of turning on and off, just an even temp of 350 deg. until you like it cooked works for me.

The juice on the bottom of the pan gets all hard and crusty, that's the good stuff left (once you poor off the excess fat) and make a flour mixture and poor that in and scrape all those drippings.